TRAINING REGULATIONS FOR FISHING GEAR REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE NC III
The Fishing Gear Repair and Maintenance NC III consists of competencies that a person must achieve in leading a team of net menders. Specifically, it involves competencies in making decision in carrying out repair and maintenance of nets.
Non-repairable fishing gears like hook and line are not included in this Training Regulations (TR). The TR also does not include pots and traps, another type of fishing gear, since it is used and repaired by subsistence fisher folks themselves.
A student who has achieved this Course in Fish Capture NC I is competent to be:
- Net Mender Team Leader
FISHING GEAR REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE NC III TRAINING AND REGULATION MODULE
Course Title: FISHING GEAR REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE
Level: NC III
Nominal Training Duration : 152 Hours
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge, skills and attitude of Net Mender Team Leader in accordance with industry standards. It covers core competencies on supervising unload and load of net, assembling and repairing damaged netting as well as evaluating, administering and monitoring net mending.
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to gain entry into this course should possess the following requirements:
- can communicate either oral and written
- physically and mentally fit
- with good moral character
- can perform basic mathematical computation
- have attended training on Fish Capture or have had equivalent experience or have been certified in the Unit of Competency – Assemble and repair damaged netting.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN FISHING GEAR REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE NC III
This units of competency comprising this qualification include Basic, Common and Core Competencies. To obtain this course, all units prescribed for this qualification must be achieved.
These units of competency comprising this qualification include the following:
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (120 Hours)|
|AGR642330||Supervise unloading and loading of net|
|AGR642331||Evaluate net mending|
|AGR642332||Administer and monitor net mending|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (14 Hours)|
|AGR321201||Apply safety measures in farm operations|
|AGR321202||Use farm tools and equipment|
|AGR321203||Perform estimation and calculations|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (18 Hours)|
|500311109||Lead workplace communication|
|500311110||Lead small teams|
|500311111||Develop and practice negotiation skills|
|500311112||Solve problems related to work activities|
|500311113||Use mathematical concepts and techniques|
|500311114||Use relevant technologies|
Core competency units comprising the qualification in FISHING GEAR REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE NC III
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: SUPERVISE UNLOADING AND LOADING OF NET
UNIT CODE: AGR642330
SUPERVISE UNLOADING AND LOADING OF NET (AGR642330) – This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes
required to supervise unloading and loading of net but limited to the supervisor’s instructions. It also includes securing and protecting ring and purse seine nets in hauling.
- Manage unloading and loading of net
- Net specifications are identified in accordance to
loading and unloading procedures
- Net is properly cut in accordance to gear plan.
- Deck machinery is used to aid loading and unloading procedures in compliance with workplace procedures and safety regulations
- Net parts are loaded in accordance with relevant loading regulations and workplace procedures
- Net is connected to resemble original netting.
- Unloading activities are carried out in a safe and efficient way in appropriate work area and safe use of machinery
- Team members are supervised according to given instructions by the net supervisor
- Net specifications are identified in accordance to
- Secure and protect net in hauling
- The condition of the net is inspected and checked in accordance to approved specifications
- Net is secured and protected using established safety rules and requirements.
- Exercise safety and hazard control precautions
- Protective equipment is used in accordance with OH&S regulations
- Safety and hazard precautions are correctly followed during unloading and loading operations.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: EVALUATE NET MENDING
UNIT CODE: AGR642331
EVALUATE NET MENDING (AGR642331) – This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to evaluate net mending, including assessing damaged nets and recommending netting materials for replacement as well as translating gear plan.
- Translate gear plan
- Net damages are identified and indicated in the gear plan in accordance to supervisor’s instructions.
- Instructions and abbreviations in gear plan are correctly interpreted in accordance to specifications.
- Assess damaged nets
- Net characteristics and conditions are examined and recorded in accordance to approved specifications.
- Required documentation for net repair is completed in accordance to requirements.
- Recommend list of required netting materials
- Netting materials for replacement are identified with prescribed specifications and supervisor’s instructions.
- Materials are submitted for purchase according to specifications
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: ADMINISTER AND MONITOR NET MENDING
UNIT CODE: AGR642332
ADMINISTER AND MONITOR NET MENDING (AGR642332) – This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to perform routine remedial, preventative and survey deck maintenance on coastal vessels. This includes carrying out basic deck maintenance, cleaning tasks, marine painting and checks on deck machinery and systems.
- Set directions in repairing damaged nets
- Appropriate action is initiated to fix the damaged net in accordance to supervisor’s instructions
- Repairs are instructed and coordinated in accordance to standard procedures
- Communication with net menders relating to net repair is clear, concise and done at a proper time and place.
- Monitor mending activities
- Coverage and rate of inspections on net mending activities are complied with the standard procedures
- Check of net mending is performed correctly according to workplace procedures
- Actions are carried out to ensure net mending is in accordance to gear plan, supervisor’s instructions and OH&S requirements
- Communication with supervisor relating to net characteristics and condition is clear, brief and timely
- Net damaged and actions taken are recorded completely and based on requirements
UNIT TITLE : APPLY SAFETY MEASURES IN OPERATIONS
UNIT CODE : AGR321201
APPLY SAFETY MEASURES IN FARM OPERATIONS (AGR321201) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to perform safety measures effectively and efficiently. It includes identifying areas, tools, materials, time and place in performing safety measures..
- Determine areas of concern for safety measures
- Work tasks are identified in line with farm operations
- Place for safety measures are determined in line with farm operations
- Time for safety measures are determined in line with farm operations
- Appropriate tools, materials and outfits are prepared in line with job requirements
- Apply appropriate safety measures
- Tools and materials are used according to specifications and procedures
- Outfits are worn according to farm requirements
- Effectivity/shelf life/expiration of materials are strictly observed
- Emergency procedures are known and followed to ensure a safework requirement
- Hazards in the workplace are identified and reported in line with farm guidelines
- Safekeep/dispose of tools, materials and outfit
- Used tools and outfit are cleaned after use and stored in designated areas
- Unused materials are properly labeled and stored according to manufacturers recommendation and farm requirements
- Waste materials are disposed according to manufacturers, government and farm requirements
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : USE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
UNIT CODE : AGR321202
USE FARM TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT (AGR321202) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to use farm tools and equipment. It includes selection, operation and preventive maintenance of farm tools and equipment.
- Select and use farm tools
- Identified appropriate farm tools according to requirement/use
- Farm tools are checked for faults and defective tools reported in accordance with farm procedures
- Appropriate tools and equipment are safely used according to job requirements and manufacturers conditions
- Select and operate farm equipment
- Identify appropriate farm equipment
- Instructional manual of the farm tools and equipment are carefully read prior to operation
- Pre-operation check-up is conducted in line with manufacturers manual
- Faults in farm equipment are identified and reported in line with farm procedures
- Farm equipment used according to its function
- Followed safety procedures
- Perform preventive maintenance
- Tools and equipment are cleaned immediately after use in line with farm procedures
- Routine check-up and maintenance are performed
- Tools and equipment are stored in designated areas in line with farm procedures
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PERFORM ESTIMATION AND CALCULATION
UNIT CODE : AGR321203
PERFORM ESTIMATION AND BASIC CALCULATION (AGR321203) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to perform basic workplace calculations
- Perform estimation
- Job requirements are identified from written or oral communications
- Quantities of materials and resources required to complete a work task are estimated
- The time needed to complete a work activity is estimated
- Accurate estimate for work completion are made
- Estimate of materials and resources are reported to appropriate person
- Perform basic workplace calculation
- Calculations to be made are identified according to job requirements
- Correct method of calculation identified
- System and units of measurement to be followed are ascertained
- Calculation needed to complete work tasks are performed using the four basic process of addition, division, multiplication and subtraction
- Calculate whole fraction, percentage and mixed when are used to complete the instructions
- Number computed in self checked and completed for alignment
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : LEAD WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION
UNIT CODE : 500311109
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to lead in the dissemination and discussion of ideas, information and issues in the workplace.
- Communicate information about workplace processes
- Lead workplace discussions
- Identify and communicate issues arising in the workplace
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : LEAD SMALL TEAMS
UNIT CODE : 500311110
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes to lead small teams including setting and maintaining team and individual performance standards.
- Provide team leadership
- Assign responsibilities
- Set performance expectations for team members
- Supervised team performance
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: DEVELOP AND PRACTICE NEGOTIATION SKILLS
UNIT CODE : 500311111
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to collect information in order to negotiate to a desired outcome and participate in the negotiation.
- Plan negotiations
- Participate in negotiations
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : SOLVE PROBLEMS RELATED TO WORK ACTIVITIES
UNIT CODE : 500311112
This unit of covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to solve problems in the workplace including the application of problem solving techniques and to determine and resolve the root cause of problems.
- Identify the problem
- Determine fundamental causes of the problem
- Determine corrective action
- Provide recommendation/s to manager
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: USE MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS AND TECHNIQUES
UNIT CODE : 500311113
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required in the application of mathematical concepts and techniques.
- Identify mathematical tools and techniques to solve problem
- Apply mathematical procedure/solution
- Analyze results
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: USE RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES
UNIT CODE : 500311114
This unit of competency covers the knowledge, skills, and attitude required in selecting, sourcing and applying appropriate and affordable technologies in the workplace.
- Study/select appropriate technology
- Apply relevant technology
- Maintain/enhance of relevant technology
DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Commercial fishing – the taking of fishery species by passive or active gear for trade, business or profit beyond subsistence or sports fishing, to be further classified as:
- Small scale commercial fishing – fishing with passive or active gear utilizing fishing vessels of 3.1 gross tons (GT) up to twenty (20) GT;
- Medium scale commercial fishing – fishing utilizing active gears and vessels of 20.1 GT up to one hundred fifty (150) GT;
- Large scale commercial fishing – fishing utilizing active gears and vessels of more than one hundred fifty (150) GT.
- Deck – a platform in a ship that is structural element and forming the floor for its compartment.
- Fish gear plan – a design that includes the structure and details of the materials of the fish net.
- Fisherfolk – people who directly and physically engaged in taking and/or culturing and processing fishery and/or aquatic resources.
- Fishing vessel – any boat, ship or other watercraft equipped to be used for taking fishery species or aiding or assisting one or more vessels in the performance of any activity relating to fishing, including, but not limited to, preservation, supply, storage, refrigeration, transportation and processing.
- Fishing gear – any instrument or device and its accessories utilized in taking fish and other fishery species.
- Knot – compact intersection of interlaced materials, as cord, ribbon or rope. A fastening made by tying together lengths of materials as rope in prescribed way.
- Netting – fishing gear component made of open meshed fabric.
- Net mending – net that must be repaired.
- Power block – a large hydraulic pulley used to bring the purse seine net abroad.
- Purse seine net – A fishing net used to encircle surface-dwelling fish, landed usually aboard a boat rather than beached.
- Ring net – a modified lampara net with purse rings operated by two vessels.