Animal Production (Poultry-Chicken) National Certificate II (TESDA Course)
The Animal Production (Poultry-Chicken) NC II Qualification consists of competencies that a person must achieve to maintain poultry housing, brood and grow chicks, perform pre-lay and lay activities and trim beak. These functions are required for individual who will work in a poultry (broiler and layers).
This Qualification is packaged from the competency map of the Agri-Fishery Sector.
A person who has achieved this Qualification is competent to be:
- Poultry farmer
- Poultry farm worker
- Poultry farm assistant
- Poultry farm caretaker
- Poultry service crew
- Broiler raiser
- Layer raiser
- Poultry breeder
- Flock man
ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN) NC II QUALIFICATION
Course Title: ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN)
Level: NC II
Nominal Training Duration : 226 Hours
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge, desirable attitudes and skills of animal production technician in accordance with industry standards. It covers maintaining of poultry house, performing brooding and growing of birds, performing pre-lay and lay activities and beak trimming of birds. It also includes competencies in workplace communication, teamwork, safety in the use of hand tools and equipment, and housekeeping.
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to enroll in this course should possess the following requirements.
- Able to read and write;
- Able to communicate, both orally and in writing; and
- Physically fit and mentally healthy as certified by a Public Health Officer
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN) NC II
This units of competency comprising this qualification include the following:
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (240 Hours)|
|AFF622101||Maintain poultry house|
|AFF622102||Brood and grow chicks|
|AFF622103||Perform pre-lay and lay activities|
|UNIT CODE||ELECTIVE COMPETENCY|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (48 Hours)|
|AFF321201||Apply safety measures in farm operations|
|AFF321202||Use farm tools and equipment|
|AFF321203||Perform estimation and calculations|
|AFF321205||Process farm wastes|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (18 Hours)|
|500311105||Participate in workplace communication|
|500311106||Work in a team environment|
|500311107||Practice career professionalism|
|500311108||Practice occupational health and safety procedures|
CORE COMPETENCIES (260 Hours)
Core competency units in ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN) NC II
MAINTAIN POULTRY ENVIRONMENT (AFF622101) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to maintain poultry house and its facilities. It includes activities such as conducting preparation activities, maintaining poultry house and facilities, maintain farm area and perform work to completion.
- Conduct preparation activities
- Farm layout of poultry house and facilities are determined with reference to the housing plan.
- Poultry housing and facilities are checked according to enterprise procedures.
- Conditions of poultry housing and facilities are reported to the immediate authority and in compliance with Environmental Compliance Certificate.
- Tools, materials and equipment are prepared according to maintenance requirements and instructions of authority.
- Maintain poultry house and facilities
- Poultry housing and facilities are cleaned and disinfected in regular basis.
- Minor repairs and maintenance are done as per instruction of the authority and per work requirements.
- Major malfunctions and irregular conditions in the poultry house and facilities are reported immediately.
- Wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) is practiced following OSHS procedures.
- Downtime (rest period) is practiced prior to succeeding loading for at least one week.
- Safety measures are practiced according to Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHS).
- Maintain farm area
- Maintenance of farm area and vicinities are done according to production management and enterprise procedures.
- Vermin and insects control is performed according to Fertilizer and Pesticides Authority guidelines and DENR regulations.
- Maintenance of farm vegetation are conducted to avoid common vermins and insects proliferation.
- Perform completion activities
- Records are kept and updated for reporting and inventory purposes following enterprise procedures.
- Tools and equipment are cleaned and stored according to manuals and enterprise procedures.
- Housekeeping is practiced following 5S principles and enterprise procedures.
- Wastes are managed following 3Rs principles and DENR regulations.
BROOD AND GROW CHICKS (AFF622102) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to brood and grow chicks. It includes conducting of preparatory activities, placing of brooder in growing house, feeding of birds, providing of optimum environment for the birds, performing prophylactic and therapeutic measures and performing flock selections for broiler and layer.
- Conduct preparatory activities
- Wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) is applied according to OHS procedures.
- Poultry house was cleaned and disinfected according to company standard procedures.
- Materials, tools and equipment are prepared according to production requirements.
- Chick guard, curtains and portable heaters are installed and adjusted based on industry standards.
- Litter materials are cleaned and laid-out, regularly following farm plans and schedule.
- Place chicks and pullets in brooder house
- Broiler and layer stocks are obtained from reliable/recommended sources.
- A day-old chicks (DOC) and day-old pullets (DOP) are placed to respective brooding houses observing Good Animal Practices and Animal Welfare Act.
- Chicks with abnormalities are culled from the flock.
- Perform feeding of birds
- Feeders and waterers are prepared and cleaned regularly
- Poultry is fed according to company feeds and feeding guide.
- Nutrient supplementation is practiced as remedial measures according to instructions of immediate authority.
- Water is given according to industry standards and bird requirements.
- Feed left-over is properly secured and spoiled feed is disposed properly.
- Provide optimum environment for the birds
- Lighting program is provided based on industry standards.
- Ventilation is augmented during hot climatic conditions.
- Curtain management is done based on prevailing conditions.
- Bio-security measures are applied according to industry procedures.
- Vermin control is done following industry procedures.
- Disposal of wastes are performed following DENR regulations.
- Perform preventive and treatment measures
- Distress conditions of poultry are determined and reported to immediate authority or veterinarian.
- Preventive measures are administered according to veterinarian recommendations and instructions.
- Sick birds are isolated for treatment following instructions of veterinarian.
- Culling procedures are applied with reference to economic considerations and according to instructions of immediate authority.
- Perform flock selection
- Missexed are removed from flock following industry standards.
- Flock selection is performed according to company requirements and productivity standards.
- Birds with poor physical conditions are culled out for according company requirements on a regular basis.
- Relevant records are updated on regular basis following enterprise protocol.
PERFORM PRE-LAY AND LAY ACTIVITIES (AFF622103) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to perform pre-lay and lay activities. It comprises of performing preparatory activities, transfer layers in laying house, employing lighting program, apply feeding program, perform harvesting and post-laying activities.
- Perform preparatory activities
- Laying houses are cleaned and disinfected according to industry procedures.
- Tools, materials and equipment are prepared according to work requirements.
- Transfer layers in laying house
- Ready to lay-pullets are selected for transfer to laying house.
- Pullets with abnormalities are culled from the flock.
- Ready-to-lay-pullets are transferred to laying house reference to Animal Welfare Act and Good Animal Practices.
- Employ lighting program
- Lighting program is followed according to prepared schedule.
- Lighting fixtures are installed according to required light intensity.
- Monitoring of sexual development are performed in accordance with breed standards
- Apply feeding activities
- Feeders and water trough are prepared and cleaned regularly
- Poultry species are fed according to industry standards
- Feeding to peak and challenge feeding are applied according to layer’s status.
- Feed left-over is properly secured and spoiled feed is disposed properly
- Monitoring of productivity is performed with reference to bird’s status.
- Perform health care
- Deworming is done as recommended by veterinarian or authority.
- Booster vaccination program is done as recommended by veterinarian or authority.
- Applications of vaccines are done following veterinarian instructions.
- Vitamins and minerals supplementations are given based on assessment and recommendations of veterinarian or animal nutritionist.
- Perform harvesting and post-laying activities
- Eggs are collected on a regular basis using appropriate materials and standard c collecting procedures.
- Eggs are classified according to industry classification standards
- Eggs are packed and stored at appropriate room temperature.
- Unproductive layers are culled out according to standard industry procedures.
- Records are kept following enterprise standard.
TRIM BEAK (AFF622104) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to debeak and redebeak birds. It includes functions such as carry-out preparatory activities, debeak birds, redebeak birds and carry-out work to completion.
- Carry-out preparatory activities
- Materials, tools and equipment for the operation are prepared according to work requirements.
- Birds are conditioned for debeaking following Good Animal Practices and Animal Welfare Act. Safety measures are practiced following Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHS).
- Trim beak
- Beak are trimmed in appropriate age following standard industry procedures.
- Birds are restrained with net to facilitate calm capture.
- Task is performed observing safety practices and following Good Animal Husbandry Practices (GAHP)
- Retrim beak
- Beaks are retrimmed according to standard operating procedures.
- Birds are restrained with net to facilitate calm capture.
- Task is performed practicing OSHS and following GAHP
- Carry-out work to completion
- Proper disposal is practiced according to environmental rules and regulations.
- Tools, materials and equipment are stored according to industry protocol.
- Records are collected and updated for reporting purposes. (daily/weekly)
Elective competency units in ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN) NC II
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES|
BREED CHICKEN (AFF622105) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to breed chicken. This includes functions such as conduct preparatory breeding activities, carry-out breeding to in-lay activities, collect eggs and care for hatching eggs.
- Conduct preparatory breeding activities
- Poultry breeder are obtained from reliable source according to enterprise production requirement.
- Characteristics of rooster suited for breeding are determined following enterprise protocol.
- Breeder sheds are maintained according to established farm practices following GAHP.
- Nests are set-up in suitable place in reference to established breeding practices.
- Poultry breeder are transferred to appropriate breeder sheds following GAHP.
- Hygienic environment is maintained according to enterprise standard procedures and requirements.
- Carry-out breeding to in- lay activities
- Male (rooster) is left with the females (hens) to mate following enterprise breeding schedule and plan.
- Birds are trained to lay in nests with minimal number of eggs on floor following recognized industry standards.
- Temperature of the hen shed are kept constant and warm according to established enterprise procedures.
- Maintenance of breeder poultry are done in line with egg production objective.
- Any drafts are prevented from entering the building according to enterprise protocol.
- In-lay activities are conducted according to enterprise protocol and production plan.
- Safety practices are employed according to Occupational Safety and Hazard Standards.
- Collect eggs
- Fertile eggs are collected according to established enterprise protocol and requirement.
- Identification and grading of egg are carried out in accordance with production requirements and breeding objectives.
- Livestock is handled during egg collection is humanely handled.
- Eggs cleaning and sanitation are done following company requirements and required hygienic procedures.
- Hygienic environment maintained following enterprise procedures and requirement.
- Records of all collections are completed to accurately monitor production.
- Care for hatching eggs
- Hatching eggs are selected following standard enterprise protocol.
- Eggs are stored in accordance to industry standard procedures.
- Eggs that are neglected by hens are took for incubation purposes.
- Floor egg problems are minimized following enterprise procedures.
COMMON COMPETENCIES (58 Hours)
Common competency units in ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN) NC II
APPLY SAFETY MEASURES IN FARM OPERATIONS (AFF321201) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to perform safety measures effectively and efficiently. It includes identifying areas, tools, materials, time and place in performing safety measures..
- Determine areas of concern for safety measures
- Work tasks are identified in line with farm operations 1.2 Place for safety measures are determined in line with farm operations 1.3 Time for safety measures are determined in line with farm operations 1.4 Appropriate tools, materials and outfits are prepared in line with job requirements
- Apply appropriate safety measures
- Tools and materials are used according to specifications and procedures 2.2 Outfits are worn according to farm requirements 2.3 Effectivity/shelf life/expiration of materials are strictly observed 2.4 Emergency procedures are known and followed to ensure a safework requirement 2.5 Hazards in the workplace are identified and reported in line with farm guidelines
- Safekeep/dispose tools, materials and outfit
- Used tools and outfit are cleaned after use and stored in designated areas 3.2 Unused materials are properly labeled and stored according to manufacturers recommendation and farm requirements 3.3 Waste materials are disposed according to manufacturers, government and farm requirements
USE FARM TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT (AFF321202) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to use farm tools and equipment. It includes selection, operation and preventive maintenance of farm tools and equipment.
- Select and use farm tools
- Identified appropriate farm tools according to requirement/use
- Farm tools are checked for faults and defective tools reported in accordance with farm procedures
- Appropriate tools and equipment are safely used according to job requirements and manufacturers conditions
- Select and operate farm equipment
- Identify appropriate farm equipment
- Instructional manual of the farm tools and equipment are carefully read prior to operation
- Pre-operation check-up is conducted in line with manufacturers manual
- Faults in farm equipment are identified and reported in line with farm procedures
- Farm equipment used according to its function 2.6 Followed safety procedures
- Perform preventive maintenance
- Tools and equipment are cleaned immediately after use in line with farm procedures
- Routine check-up and maintenance are performed
- Tools and equipment are stored in designated areas in line with farm procedures
PERFORM ESTIMATION AND BASIC CALCULATION (AFF321203) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to perform basic workplace calculations.
- Perform estimation
- Job requirements are identified from written or oral communications
- Quantities of materials and resources required to complete a work task are estimated
- The time needed to complete a work activity is estimated
- Accurate estimate for work completion are made
- Estimate of materials and resources are reported to appropriate person
- Perform basic workplace calculation
- Calculations to be made are identified according to job requirements
- Correct method of calculation identified
- System and units of measurement to be followed are ascertained
- Calculation needed to complete work tasks are performed using the four basic process of addition, division, multiplication and subtraction
- Calculate whole fraction, percentage and mixed when are used to complete the instructions
- Number computed in self checked and completed for alignment
PROCESS FARM WASTES (AFF321205) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to process farm wastes. It comprises functions such as collecting farm wastes, conducting waste identification and segregation, treating and processing farm wastes and performing housekeeping duties.
- Collect farm wastes
- Tools and materials are prepared for collection of farm wastes.
- Wastes are collected following OSHS and waste collection requirements and plan.
- Dangerous and hazardous wastes are collected following the HAZMAT(hazardous material) protocol.
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) are worn as prescribed by Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHS).
- Identify and segregate wastes
- Wastes are identified by categories according to industry standards and environmental legislation.
- Wastes are segregated according to organizational requirements and relevant legislation.
- Sorted waste is placed into labelled container to avoid littering and prevent cross-contamination.
- Information on waste is obtained by asking authority to ensure correct identification.
- Treat and process farm wastes
- Dangerous and hazardous wastes are handled according to organizational requirements and relevant legislation following OSHS procedures.
- Processing of farm wastes is done following environmental legislation and codes.
- Principles of 3Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) are applied accordingly.
- Farm wastes are disposed of according to environmental legislation and codes.
- Perform housekeeping
- Appropriate warning signs and labels are displayed in conspicuous places around the workplace.
- Work area is cleaned according to 5S principles.
- Tools are checked, cleaned and stowed according to established industry procedures and following user’s manual.
- Materials are stored following industry standard procedures and manufacturer’s specifications.
- PPE is checked for damage prior to ensuring that clean and undamaged equipment is stored.
- Storage facility is checked to ensure no contamination in the area according to organizational requirements and legislation and codes.
- Record keeping is done according to industry requirements.
BASIC COMPETENCIES (18 Hours)
Basic competency units in ANIMAL PRODUCTION (POULTRY-CHICKEN) NC II
PARTICIPATE IN WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION (500311105) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes
required to gather, interpret and convey information in response to workplace requirements..
- Obtain and convey workplace information.
- Complete relevant work related documents.
- Participate in workplace meeting and discussion.
WORK IN TEAM ENVIRONMENT (500311106) – This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes to identify role and responsibility as a member of a team..
- Describe and identify team role and responsibility in a team.
- Describe work as a team member.
PRACTICE CAREER PROFESSIONALISM (500311107) – This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes in promoting career growth and advancement.
- Integrate personal objectives with organizational goals.
- Set and meet work priorities.
- Maintain professional growth and development.
PRACTICE OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY PROCEDURES (0311108) – This unit covers the outcomes required to comply with regulatory and organizational requirements for occupational health and safety.
- Identify hazards and risks
- Evaluate hazard and risks
- Control hazards and risks
- Maintain occupational health and safety awareness
ASSESSMENT AND CERTIFICATION ARRANGEMENTS
To attain the National Qualification of Animal Production (Poultry-Chicken) NC II, the candidate must demonstrate competence in all the units listed in Section 1. Successful candidates shall be awarded a National Certificate signed by the TESDA Director General.
The qualification of Animal Production (Poultry-Chicken) NC II may be attained through accumulation of Certificates of Competency (COCs) in the following areas:
- Maintain poultry house
- Brood and grow birds
- Perform pre-lay and lay activities
- Trim beak
The following elective competency for breeding also equivalent to a COC can also be taken to enhance one’s employability as holder of Animal Production (Poultry-Chicken) NC II:
- Breed chicken
- Successful candidates shall be awarded Certificates of Competency (COCs) bearing the signature of the Regional Director and Chair of the recognized local industry body.
Demonstration of competence through project-type assessment covering all required units of the qualification.
Assessment shall focus on the core units of competency. The basic and common units shall be integrated or assessed concurrently with the core units.
The following are qualified to apply for assessment and certification:
- Graduates of formal, non-formal and informal including enterprise-based training programs
- Experienced Workers (wage employed or self-employed)
The guidelines on assessment and certification are discussed in detail in the Procedures Manual on Assessment and Certification and Guidelines on the Implementation of the Philippine TVET Qualification and Certification System (PTQCS).
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- Broiler – any commercial meat type chicken usually raised up to six weeks of age
- Brooder – an area used for raising young fowl that provides sufficient light and protection
- Brooding – a management practice where chicks are given extra supplemental heat and proper care and management
- Cage Housing – a type or system of poultry housing where layers could be kept alone, by two or in big groups in cage
- Culling – is the removal of undesirable or inferior animals in the herd based on important economic traits and overall performance
- Downtime– rest period
- Immunization – prevention of diseases by providing appropriate vaccines to animals
- Incubation – refers to the development of the birds from the fertilized eggs to fully formed chicks
- Livestock – domestic animals kept for use on a farm and raised for sale and profit
- Nutrients – food elements or substance found in the feeds such as protein, carbohydrates, fats and others
- Pewee egg – the first egg of a pullet or the smallest sized egg
- Poultry – a collective term for birds used either for breeding, egg production, meat production and recreation
- Pullet – a young bird ready to lay egg
- Ration – the total amount of feeds taken in by an animal during a 24 hour period
- Rooster – a matured male poultry used for breeding
- Vaccination – a preventive measure to inoculate an animal with a mildly toxic preparation of bacteria or a virus of specific disease to prevent or to lessen the effects of the disease
- Waterer – equipment used in providing water to animals
List of Schools that offer TESDA Courses for Animal Production (Poultry-Chicken) NC II
- Alameda Farm – Surigao Del Sur
- Billonid Farm – Agusan Del Norte
- Callano Farm School and Training Center Corporation – Surigao Del Sur
- Castromayor Integrated Farm School Incorporated – Sultan Kudarat
- Davao Oriental Polytechnic Institute – Davao Oriental
- EDFHER Farm – Surigao Del Sur
- GBS III Agro Farms – North Cotabato
- Gensan Security Training Institute – South Cotabato
- Leona-Agri Business Vocational School – Davao Del Norte
- Montañez Agri Venture – Agusan Del Norte
- Nerio D. Odchimar Agri-Formation Center – Surigao Del Sur
- Surigao Del Norte College of Agriculture & Technology – Magpayang Campus – Surigao Del Norte
- Sogbohan Agri Training Institute – Surigao Del Norte
- Thelsan School – South Cotabato
- Umani Cabal Farm – South Cotabato
- Vmotril’s Farm – South Cotabato
- VMC Asian College Foundation – Sultan Kudarat