TESDA TRAINING REGULATIONS FOR TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC II COURSE
The TESDA Course in Transmission Line (T/L) Installation and Maintenance NC IV consist of competencies that a person must achieve to enable him/her to perform the required competencies of a transmission line foreman in planning and supervising transmission line maintenance works.
Specifically, this Training Regulations in Transmission Line Installation and Maintenance NC IV deals with the planning of assigned transmission line maintenance work, supervising transmission line maintenance works and conducting initial root cause analysis.
This Qualification is packaged from the competency map of the Utilities industry sector.
A student who has achieved this TESDA Course in TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC IV is competent to be:
- Transmission Line Foreman
TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC IV COURSE MODULE
Course Title: TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE
Level: NC IV
Nominal Training Duration :
30 hours – Basic Competencies
60 hours – Common Competencies
64 hours – Core Competencies
Total Duration: 154 Hours
This course is designed to develop & enhance the knowledge, skills, & attitudes of a transmission line foreman, in accordance with industry standards. It covers the basic and common competencies in addition to the core competencies such as planning of assigned transmission line maintenance work, supervising transmission line maintenance works and conducting initial root cause analysis.
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to enroll in these course qualifications should possess the following requirements:
- At least 3-yrs of relevant experience in transmission line installation, construction and maintenance
- Able to communicate both oral and/or written (either in English or local dialect)
- Must be physically fit
This list does not include specific institutional requirements such as educational attainment, appropriate work experience and others that may be required from the trainees by the school or training center delivering the TVET program.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC IV
This units of competency comprising this qualification include Basic, Common, Elective and Core Competencies.
To obtain this TESDA course in TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC IV, all units prescribed for this qualification must be achieved.
These units of competency comprising this qualification include the following:
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (64 Hours)|
|UTL741309||Plan assigned maintenance work|
|UTL741310||Supervise transmission line maintenance work|
|UTL741311||Conduct initial root cause analysis|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (60 Hours)|
|UTL311203||Apply quality standards|
|UTL311206||Comply with environmental protection procedures|
|UTL311201||Observe procedures, specifications and manuals of instruction|
|UTL311205||Operate and maintain hand/line tools and equipment|
|UTL311207||Perform Computer Operations|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (30 Hours)|
|500311115||Utilize specialized communication skills|
|500311116||Develop teams and individuals|
|500311117||Apply problem solving techniques in the workplace|
|500311118||Collect, analyze and organize information|
|500311119||Plan and organize work|
|500311120||Promote environmental protection|
This section gives the details and contents of the units of competency required in TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC IV. These units of competency are categorized into basic, common and core competencies.
This section gives the details of the contents of the core units of competency required in TRANSMISSION LINE INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE NC IV.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PLAN ASSIGNED MAINTENANCE WORK
UNIT CODE : UTL741309
This unit describes the knowledge, skills and attitudes in planning assigned transmission line maintenance work. This include competency in evaluating job site, preparing list of tools, equipment and hardware and discussing assigned maintenance work preparation.
- Evaluate job site
- Maintenance orders (MO) are received and interpreted based on job requirements.
- Job site inspection is performed in accordance to company procedures
- Potential problems in job site are determined and referred to appropriate personnel.
- Job hazards are determined and referred to concerned personnel.
- Prepare list of tools, equipment and hardware
- Tools, equipment and materials are identified based on job requirements.
- List of equipment and materials to be obtained is submitted to appropriate personnel.
- Condition and quantity of equipment, instruments, and materials are ensured/confirmed prior to maintenance work.
- Discuss assigned maintenance work preparation
- Maintenance work requirements are presented during pre-maintenance meeting.
- Supplement requirements are complied based on the premaintenance meeting agreement.
- Pre-maintenance meeting agreement is relayed with team members in accordance with company standards and procedures.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : SUPERVISE TRANSMISSION LINE MAINTENANCE WORK
UNIT CODE : UTL741310
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes in supervising/directing field work for corrective and preventive maintenance of overhead transmission lines.
- Prepare job site and haul resources
- Job site is prepared for maintenance work in accordance with job requirements
- Safety is stressed and enforced in accordance with job requirements
- Hauling of tools, equipment and materials to job site is coordinated with concerned personnel
- Conduct toolbox meeting with team members
- Responsibilities of team members are discussed and confirmed in job site
- Team members’ queries and concerns are recognized, discussed and addressed based on working environment.
- Safety procedures are discussed with team members based on working environment
- Job hazards and controls are discussed with team members.
- Oversee maintenance work
- Safety procedures are enforced during actual work.
- Guidance/Assistance is provided to newly hired and OJTs ensure work quality and safety
- Rigging of heavy loads and components are performed based on company policies and standards
- Communication with appropriate personnel is maintained to ensure quick response in case of problems or emergencies
- Unforeseen events are responded in accordance with company procedures to ensure work quality and safety
- Work completion is confirmed and reported to immediate supervisor.
- Documentation is done and submitted to immediate supervisor.
- Administer good housekeeping
- Work site is cleared and kept in safe state in accordance with established housekeeping procedures.
- Tools, equipment and retrieved excess materials are accounted and returned according to company procedures
- Tools and equipment are checked based on normal operational condition
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : CONDUCT INITIAL ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
UNIT CODE : UTL741311
This unit describes the knowledge, skills and attitudes, required to gather, interpret, convey information to determine initial root cause of problem encountered in transmission line operation and maintenance.
- Identify problems
- Information is gathered regarding reported problem/fault
- The gathered information is analyzed based on available records
- Structures and Right-Of-Way (ROW) conditions indicative of a problem are identified based on Inspection Report
- Identified problems are reported to immediate supervisor based on company protocol
- Apply immediate correction
- Immediate correction within the scope of competency and authority is recommended and applied based on company policy
- Ongoing solution to the problem is reported to immediate supervisor
- Correction methods for immediate solution to the problem are implemented based on job requirements
- Completion of work is confirmed to appropriate personnel based on company protocol
- Determine initial root cause
- Possible range of causes are enumerated based on identified problem
- Possible causes are identified based on information gathered
- Initial root cause analysis is relayed to supervisor based on job requirements
- Initial root cause documentation is submitted to immediate supervisor based on company policy
UNIT TITLE : APPLY QUALITY STANDARDS
UNIT CODE : UTL311203
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to apply quality standards in the workplace. The unit also includes the application of relevant safety procedures and regulations, organization procedures and customer requirements.
- Assess quality of received materials or components
- Work instructions are obtained and work is carried out in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Received materials or component parts are checked against workplace standards and specifications
- Faulty material or components related to work are identified and isolated
- Faults and any identified causes are recorded and/or reported to the supervisor concerned in accordance with workplace procedures
- Faulty materials or components are replaced in accordance with workplace procedures
- Assess own work
- Documentation relative to quality within the company is identified and used
- Completed work is checked against workplace standards relevant to the task undertaken
- Faulty pieces are identified and isolated
- Information on the quality and other indicators of production performance is recorded in accordance with workplace procedures
- Deviations from specified quality standards, causes are documented and reported in accordance with the workplace standards operating procedures
- Engage in quality improvement
- Process improvement procedures are participated in relation to workplace assignment
- Work is carried out in accordance with process improvement procedures
- Performance of operation or quality of product or service to ensure customer satisfaction is monitored
UNIT TITLE : COMPLY WITH ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : UTL311206
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to implement and monitor environmental protection policies and procedures including accessing relevant information concerning environmental protection regulations and procedures, and implementing and monitoring procedures concerning environmental hazards, related control procedures, environmental training arrangements, and required records and documentation
- Access information concerning environmental protection regulations and procedures
- Relevant provisions of environmental legislation and codes of practice are accurately followed
- Information on workplace environmental policies, procedures and programs is stored in a readily accessible location and manner
- Information is accurately and clearly explained to the work team and updated according to change in workplace policy
- Information about the outcomes of environmental risk identification and control procedures is provided to the appropriate personnel
- Implement and monitor procedures concerning environmental hazards
- Existing and potential environmental hazards in the workplace are identified and reported
- Identified hazards are assessed in relation to relevant environmental protection policies
- Workplace procedures for dealing with hazardous events are implemented wherever necessary to ensure that prompt control action is taken
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) are obtained and used in accordance with job requirements
- Hazardous events are investigated to identify causes, and control measures are implemented to prevent recurrence and minimize risks of such events
- Implement and monitor environmental control procedures
- Existing environmental protection measures are implemented, monitored and reviewed
- Work procedures to protect environment are implemented and adherence to them by the work group is monitored
- Required improvements to existing control measures are identified, including required resources for implementation, and reported to appropriate personnel
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: OBSERVE PROCEDURES, SPECIFICATIONS AND MANUALS OF INSTRUCTIONS
UNIT CODE : UTL311201
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes on identifying, interpreting, applying services to specifications and manuals and storing manuals.
- Identify and access specification/ manuals
- Appropriate manuals are identified and accessed as per job requirements
- Version and date of manual are checked to ensure that correct specification and procedures are identified
- Interpret manuals
- Relevant sections, chapters of specifications/ manuals are located in relation to the work to be conducted
- Information and procedure in the manual are interpreted in accordance with industry practices
- Apply information in manual
- Manual is interpreted according to job requirements
- Work steps are correctly identified in accordance with manufacturer’s specification
- Manual data are applied according to the given task
- All correct sequencing and adjustments are interpreted in accordance with information contained on the manual or specifications
- Store manuals
- Manual or specification is stored appropriately to prevent damage, ready access and updating of information when required in accordance with company requirements
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OPERATE AND MAINTAIN LINE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
UNIT CODE : UTL311205
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitude to operate and maintain distribution line tools and equipment. This unit will involve working in a team environment
- Plan and prepare for work
- Work instruction is secured and interpreted according to job requirements
- Relevant occupational health and safety requirements are identified following job specifications
- Relevant distribution line tools, equipment and hardware are identified and requested in accordance with job specifications
- Prepare distribution line tools and equipment
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) are obtained following job requirements
- Distribution line tools, equipment and hardware are acquired and secured in line with job requirements
- Distribution line tools are tested/set following manufacturer’s standards or recommendation
- Operate distribution line tools and equipment
- PPE are used in line with job requirements
- Distribution line tools and equipment are used in line with job requirements
- Check condition of distribution line tools and equipment
- Distribution line tools and equipment are identified according to classification and job requirements
- Non-functional distribution line tools and equipment are segregated and labeled according to classification
- Safety of distribution line tools and equipment are observed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
- Condition of PPE are checked in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
- Perform basic preventive maintenance
- Appropriate lubricants are identified according to types of equipment
- Equipment are lubricated according to preventive maintenance schedule or manufacturer’s specifications
- Distribution line tools are cleaned and tested according to standard procedures
- Distribution line tools and equipment are inspected, and repaired and replaced, if necessary, after use
- Work place is cleaned and kept in safe state in line with OHSA regulations
- Store tools and equipment
- Inventory of distribution line tools and equipment are conducted and recorded as per company practices
- Distribution line tools and equipment are stored safely in appropriate locations in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications or company procedures
UNIT TITLE : PERFORM COMPUTER OPERATIONS
UNIT CODE : UTL311207
This unit covers the knowledge, skills, (and) attitudes and values needed to perform computer operations which include inputting, accessing, producing and transferring data using the appropriate hardware and software
- Plan and prepare for task to be undertaken
- Requirements of task are determined according to job specifications
- Appropriate hardware and software are selected according to task assigned and required outcome
- Task is planned to ensure OH & S guidelines and procedures are followed
- Input data into computer
- Data are entered into the computer using appropriate program/application in accordance with company procedures
- Accuracy of information is checked and information is saved in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Inputted data are stored in storage media according to requirements
- Work is performed within ergonomic guidelines
- Access information using computer
- Correct program/application is selected based on job requirements
- Program/application containing the information required is accessed according to company procedures
- Desktop icons are correctly selected, opened and closed for navigation purposes
- Keyboard techniques are carried out in line with OH & S requirements for safe use of keyboards
- Produce/output data using computer system
- Entered data are processed using appropriate software commands
- Data printed out as required using computer hardware/peripheral devices in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Files, data are transferred between compatible systems using computer software, hardware/ peripheral devices in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Maintain computer equipment and systems
- Systems for cleaning, minor maintenance and replacement of consumables are implemented
- Procedures for ensuring security of data, including regular back-ups and virus checks are implemented in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Basic file maintenance procedures are implemented in line with the standard operating procedures
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : UTILIZE SPECIALIZED COMMUNICATION SKILLS
UNIT CODE : 500311115
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to use specialized communication skills to meet specific needs of internal and internal clients, conduct interviews, facilitate group of discussions, and contribute to the development of communication strategies.
- Meet common and specific communication needs of clients and colleagues
- Specific communication needs of clients and colleagues are identified and met
- Different approaches are used to meet communication needs of clients and colleagues
- Conflict is addressed promptly and in a timely way and in a manner which does not compromise the standing of the organization
- Contribute to the development of communication strategies
- Strategies for internal and external dissemination of information are developed, promoted, implemented and reviewed as required
- Channels of communication are established and reviewed regularly
- Coaching in effective communication is provided
- Work related network and relationship are maintained as necessary
- Negotiation and conflict resolution strategies are used where required
- Communication with clients and colleagues is appropriate to individual needs and organizational objectives
- Represent the organization
- When participating in internal or external forums, presentation is relevant, appropriately researched and presented in a manner to promote the organization
- Presentation is clear and sequential and delivered within a predetermined time
- Utilize appropriate media to enhance presentation
- Differences in views are respected
- Written communication is consistent with organizational standards
- Inquiries are responded in a manner consistent with organizational standard
- Facilitate group discussion
- Mechanisms which enhance effective group interaction is defined and implemented
- Strategies which encourage all group members to participate are used routinely
- Objectives and agenda for meetings and discussions are routinely set and followed
- Relevant information is provided to group to facilitate outcomes
- Evaluation of group communication strategies is undertaken to promote participation of all parties
- Specific communication needs of individuals are identified and addressed
- Conduct interview
- A range of appropriate communication strategies are employed in interview situations
- Records of interviews are made and maintained in accordance with organizational procedures
- Effective questioning, listening and nonverbal communication techniques are used to ensure that required message is communicated
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : DEVELOP TEAMS AND INDIVIDUALS
UNIT CODE : 500311116
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to determine individual and team development needs and facilitate the development of the workgroup.
- Provide team leadership
- Learning and development needs are systematically identified and implemented in line with organizational requirements
- Learning plan to meet individual and group training and developmental needs is collaboratively developed and implemented
- Individuals are encouraged to self evaluate performance and identify areas for improvement
- Feedback on performance of team members is collected from relevant sources and compared with established team learning process
- Foster individual and organizational growth
- Learning and development program goals and objectives are identified to match the specific knowledge and skills requirements of competency standards
- Learning delivery methods are appropriate to the learning goals, the learning style of participants and availability of equipment and resources
- Workplace learning opportunities and coaching/mentoring assistance are provided to facilitate individual and team achievement of competencies
- Resources and timelines required for learning activities are identified and approved in accordance with organizational requirements
- Monitor and evaluate workplace learning
- Feedback from individuals or teams is used to identify and implement improvements in future learning arrangements
- Outcomes and performance of individuals/teams are assessed and recorded to determine the effectiveness of development programs and the extent of additional support
- Modifications to learning plans are negotiated to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of learning
- Records and reports of competency are maintained within organizational requirement
- Develop team commitment and cooperation
- Open communication processes to obtain and share information is used by team
- Decisions are reached by the team in accordance with its agreed roles and responsibilities
- Mutual concern and camaraderie are developed in the team
- Facilitate accomplishment of organizational goals
- Team members actively participated in team activities and communication processes
- Teams members developed individual and joint responsibility for their actions
- Collaborative efforts are sustained to attain organizational goals
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : APPLY PROBLEM SOLVING TECHNIQUES IN THE WORKPLACE
UNIT CODE : 500311117
This competency covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to apply the process of problem solving and other problems beyond those associated directly with the process unit. It includes the application of structured processes and improvement tools. This competency is typically performed by an experienced technician, team leader or supervisor.
- Analyze the problem
- Issues/concerns are evaluated based on data gathered
- Possible causes of problem are identified within the area of responsibility as based on experience and the use of problem solving tools/analytical techniques
- Possible cause statements are developed based on findings
- Identify possible solutions
- All possible options are considered for resolution of the problem in accordance with safety and operating procedures
- Strengths and weaknesses of possible options are considered
- Corrective action is determined to resolve the problem and its possible future causes
- Recommend solution to higher management
- Report/communication or documentation are prepared
- Recommendations are presented to appropriate personnel
- Recommendations are followed-up, if required
- Implement solution
- Measurable objectives are identified
- Resource needs are identified
- Timelines are identified in accordance with plan
- Evaluate/Monitor results and outcome
- Processes and improvements are identified based on evaluative assessment of problem
- Recommendations are prepared and submitted to superiors.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : COLLECT, ANALYZE AND ORGANIZE INFORMATION
UNIT CODE : 500311118
This unit covers the outcomes required to process, analyze, interpret and organize workplace information and other relevant data.
- Study information requirements
- Needs are identified using established research procedures
- Relevant forms and recording systems are used to gather the information.
- Respondents are selected to implement survey / research based on established procedures.
- Process data
- Data are collected and collated based on the prescribed method.
- Relevant data are used as references in accordance with the objectives of the program.
- Information is compiled according to the required form.
- Analyze, interpret and organize information gathered
- Data are analyzed using relevant methodologies
- Where applicable, statistical analysis/methods are employed according to the objectives of the program
- Graphs and other visual presentations are prepared to facilitate analysis / interpretation of information
- Present findings/recommendations
- Findings/recommendations summarized and presented/packaged in user-friendly manner
- Relevant inputs gathered to finalize report
- Draft report prepared based on standard format.
- Technical reports are submitted and disseminated to concerned offices.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PLAN AND ORGANIZE WORK
UNIT CODE : 500311119
This unit covers the outcomes required in planning and organizing work. It may be applied to a small independent operation or to a section of a large organization.
- Set objectives
- Objectives are consistent with and linked to work activities in accordance with organizational aims
- Objectives are stated as measurable targets with clear time frames
- Support and commitment of team members are reflected in the objectives
- Realistic and attainable objectives are identified
- Plan and schedule work activities
- Tasks/work activities to be completed are identified and prioritized as directed
- Tasks/work activities are broken down into steps in accordance with set time frames achievable components in accordance with set time frames
- Resources are allocated as per requirements of the activity
- Schedule of work activities is coordinated with personnel concerned
- Implement work plans
- Work methods and practices are identified in consultation with personnel concerned
- Work plans are implemented in accordance with set time frames, resources and standards
- Monitor work activities
- Work activities are monitored and compared with set objectives
- Work performance is monitored
- Deviations from work activities are reported and recommendations are coordinated with appropriate personnel and in accordance with set standards
- Reporting requirements are complied with in accordance with recommended format
- Observe timeliness of report
- Files are established and maintained in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Review and evaluate work plans and activities
- Work plans, strategies and implementation are reviewed based on accurate, relevant and current information
- Review is based on comprehensive consultation with appropriate personnel on outcomes of work plans and reliable feedback
- Results of review are provided to concerned parties and formed as the basis for adjustments/simplifications to be made to policies, processes and activities
- Performance appraisal is conducted in accordance with organization rules and regulations
- Performance appraisal report is prepared and documented regularly as per organization requirements.
- Recommendations are prepared and presented to appropriate personnel/authorities
- Feedback mechanisms are implemented in line with organization policies
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PROMOTE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
UNIT CODE : 500311120
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required in adhering to environmental protection principles, strategies and guidelines
- Study guidelines for environmental concerns.
- Environmental legislations/conventions and local ordinances are identified according to the different environmental aspects/impact.
- Industrial standard/environmental practices are described according to the different environmental concerns.
- Implement specific environmental programs.
- Programs/Activities are identified according to organizations policies and guidelines.
- Individual roles/responsibilities are determined and performed based on the activities identified.
- Problems/ constraints encountered are resolved in accordance with organizations’ policies and guidelines
- Stakeholders are consulted based on company guidelines.
- Monitor activities on environmental protection/programs
- Activities are periodically monitored and evaluated according to the objectives of the environmental program
- Feedback from stakeholders are gathered and considered in proposing enhancements to the program based on consultations
- Data gathered are analyzed based on evaluation requirements
- Recommendations are submitted based on the findings.
- Management support systems are set/established to sustain and enhance the program
- Environmental incidents are monitored and reported to concerned/proper authorities.