TESDA TRAINING REGULATIONS FOR GAS WELDING NC I COURSE
The TESDA Course in Gas Welding NC I consists of competencies that a person must achieve to perform gas welding in carbon steel plate and tube components as specified by layout, blueprints, diagrams, work order, welding procedure or oral instructions using gas welding equipment.
This Qualification conforms with American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) IX Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and International Standards Organization (ISO) 9606-1 Qualification of Welders for Steel.
A student who has achieved this Course in GAS WELDING NC I is competent to be:
- Gas (Oxy-Acetylene) Welder
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to gain entry into this course should possess the following requirements:
- can communicate either oral and written
- physically and mentally fit
- can perform basic mathematical computation
GAS WELDING NC I – TRAINING AND REGULATION MODULE
Course Title: GAS WELDING
Level: NC I
Nominal Training Duration :
(Basic Competency) 28 Hours
(Common Competency) 56 Hours
(Core Competency) 156 Hours
Total Training Duration 268 Hrs.
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge, skills and attitudes of trainees in Gas Welding in accordance with industry standards. It covers core competencies such as Performing Gas Welding in Carbon Steel Plates and Pipes.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN GAS WELDING NC I
This units of competency comprising this qualification include Basic, Common and Core Competencies. To obtain this course, all units prescribed for this qualification must be achieved.
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (156 Hours)|
|MEE721302||Perform Gas Welding in Carbon Steel Plates and Tubes|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (56 Hours)|
|MEE721201||Apply Safety Practices|
|MEE721202||Interpret Drawings and Sketches|
|MEE721203||Perform Industry Calculations|
|MEE721204||Contribute to Quality System|
|MEE721205||Use Hand Tools|
|MEE721206||Prepare Weld Materials|
|MEE721207||Setup Welding Equipment|
|MEE721208||Fit up Weld Materials|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (28 Hours)|
|500311101||Receive and respond to workplace communication|
|500311102||Work with others|
|500311103||Demonstrate work values|
|500311104||Practice basic housekeeping procedures|
This section gives the details of the contents of the core units of competency required in GAS WELDING NC I. These units of competency are categorized into basic, common and core competencies.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : Perform gas welding in carbon steel plates and tubes
UNIT CODE : MEE721302
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes required in gas welding mild/ carbon steel plates and tubes.
- Perform surface preparation
- Surface preparation is performed in accordance with acceptable cleaning procedure and standards
- Set up gas welding outfit/equipment and accessories
- Gas welding outfit/equipment and accessories are installed in accordance with OH&S rules
- PPE are used and is appropriate for the activity
- Tanks or cylinders secured in a proper place
- Perform weld pass
- Weld pass is performed in accordance with WPS and/or client’s specifications.
- Weld is visually checked for defects and repaired, as required
- Weld is visually acceptable in accordance with applicable codes and standards
- Clean weld pass
- Weld pass is cleaned and free from defects and discontinuities
- Task is performed in accordance with company or industry requirements and safety procedure
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : APPLY SAFETY PRACTICES
UNIT CODE : MEE721201
This unit covers the competencies required to apply safety practices in the workplace.
- Identify hazardous area
- Hazards are identified correctly in accordance with OHS principles.
- Safety signs and symbols are identified and adhered to.
- Use protective clothing and devices
- Appropriate protective clothing and devices correctly selected and used in accordance with OHS requirements or industry/company policy
- Perform safe handling of tools, equipment and materials
- Safety procedures for pre-use check and operation of tools and equipment followed in accordance with industry/ company policies.
- Tools, equipment and materials handled safely in accordance with OHS requirements and industry/ company policies.
- Perform first aid
- First aid treatment of injuries are carried out according to recommended procedures
- Use fire extinguisher
- Fire extinguisher selected and operated correctly according to the type of fire.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : INTERPRET DRAWINGS AND SKETCHES
UNIT CODE : MEE721202
This unit covers the competencies required to read and interpret drawings and sketches.
- Identify standard alphabet of lines
- Alphabet of lines are identified Uses of the alphabet of lines are explained
- Identify orthographic/isometric views
- Orthographic and isometric drawing are identified
- Orthographic and isometric views are explained
- Interpret standard drawing symbols, dimensional tolerances and notations
- Drawing symbols are interpreted according to drawing standards
- Dimensional tolerances, notations are interpreted according to specifications
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PERFORM INDUSTRY CALCULATIONS
UNIT CODE : MEE721203
This unit covers the competencies required to perform basic calculations using the four fundamental operation.
- Perform four fundamental operations
- Simple calculations involving whole numbers, mixed numbers, fraction and decimal are performed using four fundamental operations.
- Perform conversion of units
- Units are converted to the required figure using the given formulae
- English measurements are converted to metric measurements according to procedure.
- Perform calculations on algebraic expressions
- Simple calculations are performed on algebraic expressions using four fundamental operations.
- Simple transposition of formulae are carried out to isolate the variable required, involving the four fundamental operations.
- Where appropriate, formulae are constructed to enable problems to be solved.
- Equations involving on unknown solved correctly.
- Compute percentage and ratio
- Percentages are computed using appropriate formula.
- Ratio and proportion are computed using appropriate formula.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : CONTRIBUTE TO QUALITY SYSTEM
UNIT CODE : MEE721204
This unit involves competence required to inspect work against specification and standards and apply quality standards to work.
- Inspect work done
- Appropriate inspections are conducted to ensure company quality systems and procedures are maintained/ followed.
- Job specifications/work order and quality standards are identified.
- Faults/Defects are identified and rectified according to company procedures.
- Apply quality standards to work
- Inspections are conducted throughout the manufacturing processes to ensure quality standards are maintained.
- Appropriate quality standards are applied throughout the production/fabrication process.
- All activities are coordinated throughout the workplace to ensure efficient quality work outcomes.
- Records of work quality are maintained according to the company requirements.
- Protect company property and customer interests
- Possible damage to company property is avoided by adherence to company quality procedures.
- Quality of work is reviewed to ensure customer requirements and company standards are met.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : USE HAND TOOLS
UNIT CODE : MEE721205
This unit covers the competencies required to use hand tools.
- Select hand tools
- Hand tools selected are appropriate to the requirements of the task.
- Unsafe or defective tools are identified and marked for repair according to procedure.
- Use hand tools
- Hand tools are used to produce the desired outcomes to job specifications.
- Task performed in accordance with company or industry safety procedure.
- Maintain hand tools
- Routine maintenance of hand tools is undertaken according to standard operating procedures, principles and techniques.
- Hand tools are stored in designated location in accordance with manufacturer’s instruction/standard operating procedure.
UNIT TITLE : PREPARE WELD MATERIALS
UNIT CODE : MEE721206
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes in preparing welding materials.
- Set up cutting equipment
- Cutting equipment should be operational and should conform to acceptable OH&S standards
- Appropriate for operation intended
- Cut and prepare edge of materials
- Materials are cut to specified dimension/specifications.
- Task performed in accordance with company or industry requirements and safety procedure.
- Clean surfaces and edges
- Surfaces are cleaned to required specifications.
- Task performed in accordance with company or industry requirements and safety procedure
- Prepare welding consumables
- Consumables are prepared in accordance with required specifications
- Recommended manufacturer’s instructions are observed
- Prepare welding safety and protective equipment
- PPE should conform to acceptable OH&S requirement and standards
UNIT TITLE : SET UP WELDING EQUIPMENT
UNIT CODE : MEE721207
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes in preparing equipment for welding.
- Set up welding machine
- Requirements for welding is determined from job requirements, welding procedures and specifications and/or technical drawings.
- Welding machine is set up in accordance with job requirements, welding procedures and specifications, technical drawings and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Welding machine should be connected to an independent power supply and wired up or set to the polarity indicated in the welding procedures/specifications or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Current and voltage fine-tuned or adjusted consistent with job requirements to produce acceptable weld.
- Task is completed without causing damage to the tools, equipment and materials and injury to self and others.
- Set up welding accessories
- Welding machine accessories and consumables are identified from job requirements, welding procedures and specifications.
- Welding machine accessories and consumables are set up in accordance with job requirements, welding procedures and specifications and/or manufacturer’s instructions.
- Set up welding positioners, jigs and fixtures
- Braces, stiffeners, rails and other jigs are provided and in conformity with job requirements.
- Work items/materials are protected from strong winds, drafts and rainfall
- Set up pre-heating tools/equipment as required
- Pre-heating equipment appropriate to the job requirement and specifications
- Equipment operated in conformance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
UNIT TITLE : FIT UP WELD MATERIALS
UNIT CODE : MEE721208
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes in fitting up welding materials.
- Perform tack welding
- Tack welding performed in accordance with the requirements of WPS and client’s specifications.
- Tack weld visually and dimensionally acceptable.
- Tack on root for pipe or as required.
- Backing plate, stiffener, running plate installed as required.
- Joints are free from rust, paints, grease and other foreign materials prior to fit up or tacking.
- Check gap and alignment
- Root gap is performed in accordance with the requirements of WPS.
- Alignment within the range of acceptability of code and standard.
- Fitted materials visually free from stresses
- Set up welding positioner
- Weld specimen positioned and secured according to the requirements.
UNIT TITLE : REPAIR WELDS
UNIT CODE : MEE721209
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes in repairing welds.
- Mark/locate weld defects
- Identified weld defects marked/located according to recommended practice
- Prepare tools and equipment
- Tools and equipment prepared are appropriate to the job requirements including the provision of wind barriers.
- Task performed in accordance with company or industry requirements and safety procedure
- Remove defects
- Weld defects removed/excavated in accordance with approved industry procedures or client requirements.
- Removal of non-defective welds is minimized and cleaned.
- Visual and dye-penetrant test performed to verify the extent of removal of defects, where applicable
- Welding inspector informed to verify the extent of defect removal.
- Task performed in accordance with company or industry requirement and safety procedure
- Perform re-welding
- Re-welding performed in accordance with approved repair procedure.
- Task performed in accordance with company or industry requirement and safety procedure
- No new weld defects or damages occurred during re-welding.
- Weld visually checked after re-welding for acceptability
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : RECEIVE AND RESPOND TO WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION
UNIT CODE : 500311101
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to receive, respond and act on verbal and written communication.
- Follow routine spoken messages
- Required information is gathered by listening attentively and correctly interpreting or understanding information/instructions
- Instructions/information are properly recorded
- Instructions are acted upon immediately in accordance with information received
- Clarification is sought from workplace supervisor on all occasions when any instruction/information is not clear
- Perform workplace duties following written notices
- Written notices and instructions are read and interpreted correctly in accordance with organizational guidelines
- Routine written instruction are followed in sequence
- Feedback is given to workplace supervisor based on the instructions/information received
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : WORK WITH OTHERS
UNIT CODE : 500311102
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to develop workplace relationship and contribute in workplace activities.
- Develop effective workplace relationship
- Duties and responsibilities are done in a positive manner to promote cooperation and good relationship
- Assistance is sought from workgroup when difficulties arise and addressed through discussions
- Feedback provided by others in the team is encouraged, acknowledged and acted upon
- Differences in personal values and beliefs are respected and acknowledged in the development
- Contribute to work group activities
- Support is provided to team members to ensure workgroup goals are met
- Constructive contributions to workgroup goals and tasks are made according to organizational requirements
- Information relevant to work is shared with team members to ensure designated goals are met
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : DEMONSTRATE WORK VALUES
UNIT CODE : 500311103
This unit covers the knowledge, skills, and attitude in demonstrating proper work values.
- Define the purpose of work
- One’s unique sense of purpose for working and the why’s of work are identified, reflected on and clearly defined for one’s development as a person and as a member of society.
- Personal mission is in harmony with company’s values
- Apply work values/ethics
- Work values/ethics/concepts are classified and reaffirmed in accordance with the transparent company ethical standards, policies and guidelines.
- Work practices are undertaken in compliance with industry work ethical standards, organizational policy and guidelines
- Personal behavior and relationships with co-workers and/or clients are conducted in accordance with ethical standards, policy and guidelines.
- Company resources are used in accordance with transparent company ethical standard, policies and guidelines.
- Deal with ethical problems
- Company ethical standards, organizational policy and guidelines on the prevention and reporting of unethical conduct are accessed and applied in accordance with transparent company ethical standard, policies and guidelines.
- Work incidents/situations are reported and/or resolved in accordance with company protocol/guidelines.
- Resolution and/or referral of ethical problems identified are used as learning opportunities.
- Maintain integrity of conduct in the workplace
- Personal work practices and values are demonstrated consistently with acceptable ethical conduct and company’s core values.
- Instructions to co-workers are provided based on ethical, lawful and reasonable directives.
- Company values/practices are shared with co-workers using appropriate behavior and language.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PRACTICE HOUSEKEEPING PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : 500311104
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to apply the basic housekeeping procedures.
- Sort and remove unnecessary items
- Reusable, recyclable materials are sorted in accordance with company/office procedures
- Unnecessary items are removed and disposed of in accordance with company or office procedures
- Arrange items
- Items are arranged in accordance with company/office housekeeping procedures
- Work area is arranged according to job requirements
- Activities are prioritized based on instructions.
- Items are provided with clear and visible identification marks based on procedure
- Safety equipment and evacuation passages are kept clear and accessible based on instructions
- Maintain work area, tools and equipment
- Cleanliness and orderliness of work area is maintained in accordance with company/office procedures
- Tools and equipment are cleaned in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions/manual
- Minor repairs are performed on tools and equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s instruction/manual
- Defective tools and equipment are reported to immediate supervisor
- Follow standardized work process and procedures
- Materials for common use are maintained in designated area based on procedures
- Work is performed according to standard work procedures
- Abnormal incidents are reported to immediate supervisor
- Perform work spontaneously
- Work is performed as per instruction
- Company and office decorum are followed and complied with
- Work is performed in accordance with occupational health and safety (OHS) requirements
DEFINITION OF TERMS
- base metal – the metal that is to be worked or welded
- weld bead – a deposit of filler metal from a single welding pass
- weld defect– an irregularity that spoils the weld appearance or impairs the effectiveness of the weld or weldment by causing weakness or failure
- weld line – the junction of weld metal and the base metal, or the junction of base metal parts when filler metal is not used
- weldment – an assembly or structure whose component parts are joined by welding
- welding – joining two metals by applying heat to melt and fuse them, with or without filler metal
- welding electrode – the current-carrying rod used to strike an arc between rod and metal
- welding rod – filler metal in the form of a rod or heavy wire
- welding torch –a gas mixing and burning tool for the welding of metal