TESDA TRAINING REGULATIONS FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I
The TESDA Course in AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I consists of competencies that a person must achieve to technically assist talents and production staff in handling, setting up and disassembling audio production equipment and providing competent troubleshooting to any multimedia and cultural events.
This Qualification is packaged from the competency map of Social, Community Development and Other Services Sector
A student who has achieved this Course in AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I is competent to be:
- Audio Stagehand
- Live Sound Assistant
- Studio Recording Assistant
- Broadcast Technical Assistant
- Boom operator
- Dubbing Assistant
AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I – TRAINING AND REGULATION MODULE
Course Title: AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES
Level: NC I
Nominal Training Duration : 315 Hours
This course is designed to provide the learner with knowledge, practical skills and attitude, applicable in performing work activities that involves handling and installing basic audio equipment and providing technical assistance and troubleshooting. This includes classroom learning activities and practical work in actual work site or simulation area.
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to gain entry into this course in AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I should possess the following requirements:
- At least Elementary Level
- Must possess good communications skills.
- Must be computer literate
- Can perform basic mathematical computation
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I
This units of competency comprising this qualification include Basic, Common, Elective and Core Competencies.
To obtain this course, all units prescribed for this qualification must be achieved.
These units of competency comprising this qualification include the following:
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (100 Hours)|
|CRE352101||Handle and install basic audio equipment|
|CRE352102||Perform technical assistance and basic troubleshooting|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (88 Hours)|
|CRE265201||Develop and update industry knowledge|
|CRE265202||Develop creative thinking, artistic skills and cultural awareness|
|CRE265203||Observe procedures, specifications and manuals of instructions|
|CRE265205||Manage own performance|
|CRE265206||Maintain safe, clean and efficient work environment|
|CRE265207||Provide and maintain effective client relations|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (47 Hours)|
|400311101||Receive and respond to workplace communication|
|400311102||Work with others|
|400311103||Solve/address routine problems|
|400311104||Enhance self-management skills|
|400311106||Access and maintain information|
|400311107||Follow occupational safety and health policies and procedures|
|400311108||Apply environmental work standards|
|400311109||Adopt entrepreneurial mindset in the workplace|
This section gives the details of the contents of the units of competency required in AUDIO PRODUCTION SERVICES NC I. These units of competency are categorized into basic, common and core competencies.
Core competency units comprising the qualification in FOOD PROCESSING NC I
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: HANDLE AND INSTALL BASIC AUDIO EQUIPMENT
UNIT CODE : CRE352101
This unit covers the skills and knowledge to handle, set up and de-rig a range of audio equipment for different productions in the cultural and creative industries.
- Determine audio production requirements
- Technical riders are identified and discussed with relevant personnel according to production requirements
- Locations are surveyed for assessment purposes
- Equipment and accessories are obtained to ensure consistency with the production requirements before commencement of production
- Prepare and deliver audio equipment
- Audio equipment inventory checklist are prepared before loading
- Audio equipment are packed and secured inside the delivery vehicle/storage
- Ensure the delivery of audio equipment are safe, secured and in good working condition.
- Set-up audio equipment
- Audio equipment are set up according to safety and production requirements
- Set up is achieved within the constraints of time, budget, working environment and production requirements
- Audio equipment mountings and cablings are positioned according to safety procedures and within the organizational and production requirements
- Line and sound checks are conducted and all adjustments are documented according to organizational procedures
- Technical assistance is provided during the entire production stage.
- Disassemble audio equipment
- Audio equipment and accessories are disassembled, packed and stored safely with consideration of other production requirements and safety regulations
- House inventory is counter checked against outsourced audio equipment
- Damaged and lost audio equipment are reported to the appropriate personnel
- Working environment is cleaned and restored back to its previous and original condition
- Secure audio equipment for transit
- Audio equipment containers are made suitable and safe for storage and transport.
- Fragile items are packed and compliant with current safety regulations.
- Audio equipment containers are labelled accordingly.
- Audio equipment and accessories are packed, documented and stored within the planned timescale
- Audio equipment status is assessed before, during and after use in any production.
- Audio equipment inventory checklist is counter-checked.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: PERFORM TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE AND BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING
UNIT CODE : CRE352102
This unit describes the skills to provide and deliver audio technical assistance and basic troubleshooting for different productions in the cultural and creative industries.
- Provide technical assistance to artists and production staff
- Technical issues observed and/or communicated are determined
- Technical assistance requested and communicated by the artists and production staff are attended to
- Technical issues are solved and assistance requested are provided
- Determine and resolve technical audio problems/issues
- Audio equipment are positioned and connected according to safety and production requirements
- Audio equipment and connectivity are labelled according to organizational requirements
- Line and sound checks are conducted according to Technical requirement
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : DEVELOP AND UPDATE INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE
UNIT CODE : CRE265201
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills required to access, increase and update industry knowledge.
- Seek and apply information on the industry
- Sources of information on the industry are correctly identified and accessed
- Information to assist effective work performance is obtained in line with job requirements
- Specific information on sector of work is accessed and updated
- Industry information is correctly applied to day-to-day work activities
- Update industry knowledge
- Informal and/or formal research is used to update general knowledge of the industry
- Updated knowledge is shared with customers and colleagues as appropriate and incorporated into day-today working activities
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : DEVELOP CREATIVE THINKING, ARTISTIC SKILLS AND CULTURAL AWARENESS
UNIT CODE : CRE265202
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to exhibit professional practice covering the development of conceptual, creative and artistic capabilities and the broadening of cultural awareness.
- Acquire and develop creative thinking
- Concepts and ideas are identified and explored to ensure the development of the creative process
- Sources of creative thinking are explored and scanned from the environment
- Relevant printed reading materials and other media are used to stimulate creative ideation
- Feedback, interaction, discussion and evaluation opportunities to continuously improve creative thinking are used.
- Develop artistic skills
- Strategies, methods and approaches are identified and explored in developing the artistic work.
- Artistic work is reviewed, evaluated and finalized based on applicable and accepted standards of the field
- Relevant printed reading materials and other media are used to stimulate artistic and professional development Capabilities of materials, tools and equipment are explored to enable artistic outputs.
- Feedback, critique, discussion and evaluation mechanisms are continuously applied to improve artistic skills.
- Work experiences and ideas are discussed to improve own practice.
- Other artistic works are studied to stimulate the development of conceptual and artistic skills.
- Broaden exposure to culture and arts
- Studies on arts and culture are generated based on required learning objectives.
- Cultural immersion opportunities that may be helpful in developing career opportunities are experienced.
- Insights and experiences on arts and culture are shared, discussed and reflected upon.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OBSERVE PROCEDURES, SPECIFICATIONS AND MANUALS OF INSTRUCTIONS
UNIT CODE : CRE265203
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes on identifying, interpreting, applying services to specifications and manuals and storing manuals.
- Identify and access specification/manuals
- Manuals are identified and accessed as per job requirements
- Version and date of manual are checked to ensure that correct specification and procedures are identified
- Interpret manuals
- Relevant sections, chapters of specifications/manuals are located in relation to the work to be conducted
- Information and procedure in the manual are interpreted in accordance with industry practices
- Apply information from manual
- Manual is interpreted according to job requirements
- Work steps are correctly identified in accordance with manufacturer’s specification
- Data from the manual are applied according to the given task
- All sequencing and adjustments are interpreted in accordance with information contained on the manual or specifications
- Store manuals
- Manual or specification is stored to prevent damage and be readily accessible
- Information is updated when required in accordance with company requirements
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OPERATE EQUIPMENT
UNIT CODE : CRE265204
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes and values needed to operate related equipment in connection to film/television/theatre/live performances.
- Plan and prepare for task to be undertaken
- Requirements of task are determined
- Equipment is selected according to task assigned and required outcome
- Task is planned to ensure Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHS) practices
- Use equipment
- Equipment is checked in accordance with manufacturer’s specification
- Test result of desired creative output is performed in accordance with aesthetic vision or job requirements
- Work is performed according to OSHS practices
- Maintain equipment
- Systems for cleaning, minor maintenance and replacement of consumables are implemented
- Equipment is checked for damages and reported to authorized personnel for repair
- Equipment is stored in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications and standard procedures
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : MANAGE OWN PERFORMANCE
UNIT CODE : CRE265205
This unit of competency covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes in effectively managing own workload, resources and quality work.
- Plan for completion of own workload
- Tasks are identified according to job requirements.
- Work plans and schedules are designed and organized based on timelines/deadlines.
- Team coordination is applied when required in completion of workload
- Resource management is developed based on job requirements and/or budget allocation.
- Maintain quality of performance
- Personal performance is monitored according to performance standards.
- Advice and guidance is obtained when necessary to achieve or maintain agreed standards.
- Guidance from management when necessary is applied to achieve or maintain agreed standards.
- Evaluate and assess own work
- Actual work output is evaluated and assessed in relation to work plan
- Work expenses are assessed in relation to financial plan/budget
- Feedback is obtained from clients/audiences/critics/similar persons
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : MAINTAIN SAFE, CLEAN AND EFFICIENT WORK ENVIRONMENT
UNIT CODE : CRE265206
This unit of competency covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to maintain clean, safe and efficient working environment. The unit incorporates the work safety guidelines.
- Comply with safety and health regulations
- Safety and health regulations are identified and complied with.
- Policies and procedures are adapted and applied.
- Assess work area
- Work areas and walkways are maintained in a safe and hazard free environment.
- All routines are carried out in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHS)
- Waste is stored and disposed of according to OSHS
- Check and maintain tools, equipment and resources
- Tools, equipment and resources are stored according to safety regulations
- Tools, equipment and resources are checked for maintenance requirements
- Tools and equipment are referred for repair as required
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PROVIDE AND MAINTAIN EFFECTIVE CLIENT RELATIONS
UNIT CODE : CRE265207
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in providing effective client service. It includes personal presentation, addressing client’s needs and strengthening client’s relations.
- Maintain a professional image
- Personal presence is maintained according to employer standards or venue requirements
- Interpersonal skills are used to ensure that customer needs are accurately identified
- Presentation skills are used to communicate the relevant concepts, values and processes in the delivery of expected outputs
- Equipment and other resources are stored according to assignment requirements.
- Identify and address client requirements
- Client requirements are identified and addressed according to job assignments
- Changes in client’s needs and requirements are monitored and addressed professionally.
- Feedback mechanisms are used to address client requirements.
- Strengthen relations with clients
- Client expectations on quality, efficiency, punctuality and appearance are met.
- Possible causes of client/customer dissatisfaction are identified, addressed and recorded according to employer policy
- Clients are fully informed of any relevant concerns in a timely manner and according to agreed reporting procedures
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : RECEIVE AND RESPOND TO WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION
UNIT CODE : 400311101
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to receive, respond and act on verbal and written communication.
- Follow routine spoken messages
- Required information is gathered by listening attentively and correctly interpreting or understanding information/ instructions
- Instructions/ information are recorded in accordance with workplace requirements
- Instructions are acted upon immediately in accordance with information received
- Clarification is sought from workplace supervisor on all occasions when any instruction/ information is not clear
- Perform workplace duties following written notices
- Written notices and instructions are read and interpreted correctly in accordance with organizational guidelines.
- Routine written instructions are followed in sequence.
- Feedback is given to workplace supervisor based on the instructions/ information received.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : WORK WITH OTHERS
UNIT CODE : 400311102
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes required in working as member of a team, interacting with co-members and performing one’s role in the team.
- Develop effective workplace relationships
- Duties and responsibilities are done in a positive manner to promote cooperation and good relationship.
- Assistance is sought from workgroup when difficulties arise and addressed through discussions.
- Feedback provided by others in the team is encouraged, acknowledged and acted upon
- Differences in .personal values and beliefs are respected and acknowledged during interaction.
- Contribute to work group activities
- Support is provided to team members to ensure workgroup goals are met.
- Constructive contributions to workgroup goals and tasks are made according to organizational requirements.
- Information relevant to work is shared with team members to ensure designated goals are met.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : SOLVE/ADDRESS ROUTINE PROBLEMS
UNIT CODE : 400311103
This unit of covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to solve problems in the workplace including the application of problem solving techniques and to determine and resolve the root cause of routine problems.
- Identify the problem
- Desired operating/ output parameters and expected quality of products/services are identified.
- The nature of the problem by observation on routines are defined.
- Problems are stated and specified clearly.
- Assess fundamental causes of the problem
- Problem-solving tool appropriate to the problem and the context is selected
- Possible causes based on experience and the use of problem-solving tools/basic analytical techniques are identified
- Possible fundamental causes of problems are specified.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : ENHANCE SELF-MANAGEMENT SKILLS
UNIT CODE : 400311104
This unit covers the knowledge, skills, and attitudes in applying the ability to regulate actions, make good decisions, and show appropriate behavior based on self-awareness.
- Set personal and career goals
- The difference between personal and career goals are described.
- Clear and concise personal and career goals are developed.
- Characteristics of motivational goals according to Locke &Latham are identified.
- Recognize emotions
- Influence that people, situations and events have on emotions are described.
- Importance of responding with appropriate emotions are explained.
- Influences on and consequences of emotional responses in a social and work-related context
- Describe oneself as a learner
- Factors and strategies that assist learning are identified and described.
- Preferred learning styles according to VAK Learning Style Model and Kolb’s Theory of Learning Range of Variables REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED SKILLS Styles are identified.
- Range of learning strategies appropriate to specific tasks and describe work practices that assist their learning are identified and chosen.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : SUPPORT INNOVATION
UNIT CODE : 400311105
This unit of covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to identify, recognize and support innovation.
- Identify the need for innovation in one’s area of work
- The value of innovative practices in the workplace is recognized.
- Creativity in innovation in one’s scope of work is applied.
- The need for innovation in own scope of work is recognized.
- Recognize innovative and creative ideas
- Opportunities within the team are identified to develop innovation.
- Creative ideas of coworkers pertaining to work practices are analyzed.
- Environment conducive for learning and innovating is maintained.
- Support individuals’ access to flexible and innovative ways of working
- Individuals and key people are reinforced to identify innovative ideas to achieve outcomes.
- Sharing of best practices using flexible and innovative ways of working is accomplished.
- Obstacles to progress in implementing flexible and innovative ways of working are recognized.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : ACCESS AND MAINTAIN INFORMATION
UNIT CODE : 400311106
This unit of covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to identify, gather, interpret and maintain information.
- Identify and gather needed information
- Required information is identified based on requirements.
- Sources to produce required information are identified and accessed.
- Report information is collected, organized and recorded.
- Organize information is collected in a way that enables easy access and retrieval by other staff.
- Search for information on the internet or an intranet
- Engine is search to find and select appropriate information.
- Suitable techniques is use to make it easier to find useful information and to pass it on to others.
- Records are use where useful information came from.
- Results are used for searches of useful information.
- Search engine is chosen appropriate for the information that is needed.
- Searches are carry out as per requirements.
- Examine information
- Information and its sources are evaluated for relevance and validity to business and/or client requirements.
- Information is examined as required to identify key issues.
- Detailed evaluation of information is carried out as required using relevant techniques including mathematical calculations.
- Secure information
- Basic file-handling techniques are used for the software
- Techniques is used to handle, organize and secure information
- Manage information
- Information and records are maintained to ensure data and system integrity using a range of standard and complex information systems and operations.
- Routine data and records are reconciled as required.
- Inadequacies in system/s relating to information retrieval are identified and corrected or reported to relevant staff as required.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : FOLLOW OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : 400311107
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes to identify relevant occupational safety and health policies and procedures, perform relevant occupational safety and health procedures, and comply with relevant occupational safety and health policies and standards
- Identify relevant occupational safety and health policies and procedures
- Related occupational safety and health risks and hazards are recognized based on OSH work standards.
- OSH requirements/ regulations towards work are determined in accordance to workplace policies and procedures.
- Incident/ Emergency procedures relevant to workplace are identified based on relevant OSH work standards.
- Perform relevant occupational safety and health procedures
- Safety devices are checked in accordance with workplace OSH work standards.
- OSH Work instructions are followed in accordance with workplace policies and procedures.
- Personal protective equipment, materials, tools, machinery, and equipment are utilized according to OSH work standards.
- Comply with relevant occupational safety and health policies and standards
- Preventive Control Measures are identified in accordance with OSH work standards.
- OSH requirements are obeyed in accordance with workplace policies and procedures.
- Incident/ Emergency procedures are executed based on OSH Procedures.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : APPLY ENVIRONMENTAL WORK STANDARDS
UNIT CODE : 400311108
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitude to identify environmental work hazards, follow environment work procedures and comply with environmental requirements.
- Identify environmental work hazards
- Related environmental hazards are recognized based on environmental work standards.
- Environmental work standards are interpreted in accordance to relevant policies.
- Required resources to minimize effect of environmental hazards are prepared based on relevant environmental work standards.
- Follow environmental work procedures
- Environmental protection pre-cautionary activities are practiced based on environmental work procedures.
- Work activities are executed in accordance with Environmental Work Procedures.
- Environmental Protection Post-Activities are accomplished based on environmental work procedures.
- Comply with environmental work requirements
- Required resources are utilized in accordance with workplace environmental policies.
- Environmental hazardous and non-hazardous materials are stored in accordance with environmental regulations.
- Hazardous and Non-hazardous Wastes disposed according to environmental regulations.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : ADOPT ENTREPRENEURIAL MINDSET IN THE WORKPLACE
UNIT CODE : 400311109
This unit covers the outcomes required to support and internalize an entrepreneurial mindset and observe basic entrepreneurial practices in the workplace.
- Determine entrepreneurial mindset
- Entrepreneurial mindset in the workplace is determined from enterprise practices and policies.
- Entrepreneurial mindset in the workplace is studied and affirmed based on current enterprise practices.
- Clarification from reliable sources is sought regarding entrepreneurial mindset and corporate culture.
- Identify entrepreneurial practices
- Entrepreneurial practices are determined based on enterprise requirements.
- Entrepreneurial practices is performed following workplace and client requirements.
- Cost-effective measures are complied with reference to workplace best practices.
GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- Audio production – Audio production is the general term for producing, processing, and recording sound for all stages of production that happens during a live performance at a given space.
- Technical rider – A document that gives the venue and/or soundman an understanding of what your technical requirements are and how to set up the stage.
- Audio equipment – Refers to devices that reproduce, record, or process sound.
- Physics of sound – Principles in science underlying the physics of sound, with a particular focus on two ideas.
A sound wave is an air pressure disturbance that results from vibration, and the reception of such waves and their perception by the brain.
- Production requirements – A list of requirements needed to produce any creative or cultural events’
- Staging requirements – Staging is the process of selecting, designing, adapting to, or modifying the performance space for a play or film. This includes the use or absence of stagecraft elements as well as the structure of the stage and its components.
- Computer literate – Is defined as the knowledge and ability to utilize computers and related technology efficiently, with a range of skills covering levels from elementary use to computer programming and advanced problem solving.