TESDA TRAINING REGULATIONS FOR ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II COURSE
The TESDA Course in ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II consists of competencies that a person must achieve to promote, prepare, operate and close down rides, games and animal exhibits in attractions and theme parks. It includes competencies on attractions and theme park activities such as providing on-site information and assistance, monitoring entry to venue, providing a site briefing or commentary, and operating rides, games and animal exhibits.
This Qualification is packaged from the competency map of the Tourism Sector.
A student who has achieved this Qualification is competent to be:
- Ride Operator
- Games Operator
- Animal Attendant/Carer
- Games Promoter
- Attraction Attendant
- Theme Park Attendant
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to enroll in these course qualifications should possess the following requirements:
- can communicate in basic English in both oral and written form
- physically and mentally fit
- with good moral character
- can perform basic mathematical computation
This list does not include specific institutional requirements such as educational attainment, appropriate work experience, and others that may be required of the trainees by the school or training center delivering the TVET program.
ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II – TRAINING AND REGULATION MODULE
Course Title: ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS
Level: NC II
Nominal Training Duration :
(Basic Competency) 20 Hours
(Common Competency) 28 Hours
(Core Competency) 16 Hours
(Elective Competency) 62 Hours
Total Duration: 126 Hours
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations in accordance with industry standards. It covers the basic, common and core competencies required for the NCII level in attractions and theme parks. The competencies for attractions and theme parks include providing on-site information and assistance, monitoring entry to venue and providing a site briefing or scripted commentary. It provides elective competencies on preparing, operating and closing down rides, water-based rides, games, and animal exhibits. It also includes competencies on performing workplace and safety practices, providing effective customer service, observing workplace hygiene procedures, developing and updating industry knowledge and performing computer operations.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II
This units of competency comprising this qualification include Basic, Common, and Core Competencies.
To obtain this TESDA course in ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II, all units prescribed for this qualification must be achieved.
These units of competency comprising this qualification include the following:
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (16 Hours)|
|TRS511323||Provide on-site information and assistance|
|TRS511324||Monitor entry to venue|
|TRS511325||Provide a site briefing or scripted commentary|
|UNIT CODE||ELECTIVE COMPETENCIES (62 Hours)|
|TRS511326||Operate a ride location|
|TRS511327||Load and unload a ride|
|TRS511326||Operate a ride location|
|TRS511327||Load and unload a ride|
|TRS511328||Maintain safety in water-based rides|
|TRS51329||Operate a games location|
|TRS511330||Promote at a games location|
|TRS511331||Operate animal enclosure/exhibit|
|TRS511332||Provide general animal care|
|TRS511334||Provide customers with information on animals|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (28 Hours)|
|TRS311201||Develop and update industry knowledge|
|TRS311202||Observe workplace hygiene procedures|
|TRS311203||Perform computer operations|
|TRS311204||Perform workplace and safety practices|
|TRS311205||Provide effective customer service|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (20 Hours)|
|500311105||Participate in workplace communication|
|500311106||Work in a team environment|
|500311107||Practice career professionalism|
|500311108||Practice occupational health and safety procedures|
This section gives the details and contents of the units of competency required in ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II. These units of competency are categorized into basic, common and core competencies.
This section gives the details of the contents of the core units of competency required in ATTRACTIONS AND THEME PARKS OPERATIONS NC II.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: PROVIDE ON-SITE INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE
UNIT CODE : TRS511323
This unit deals with the skills and knowledge, behavior and motivations required to access and interpret information on the attraction’s current activities, to be used in providing assistance to customers and in promoting the attraction’s services. This unit applies to operational staff working in attractions but may also be relevant to similar enterprises such as resorts.
- Access and update attraction/theme park information
- Information is accessed and updated in accordance with enterprise procedures and systems.
- Information is incorporated into day-to-day working activities to support quality of service and standards within the attraction/theme park.
- Information is shared with colleagues to support efficiency of operations.
- Provide assistance and information
- Information and assistance needs of different customers are accurately identified, including those with special needs or disabilities.
- Required and requested information and assistance is provided to customers.
- Health and safety requirements and enterprise customer service standards are considered when providing information and assistance.
- Services available within the attraction/theme park are promoted to customers.
- Resolve guest complaints and concerns
- Customer complaints/concerns are entertained whenever they arise.
- Cause of dissatisfaction is accurately identified and done in a courteous manner.
- Cause/source of complaint is coordinated with concerned department to ensure quick resolution.
- Possible resolutions to complaint are offered keeping in mind guest needs.
- Satisfaction of customer to resolution is ensured by checking on guest.
- Service recovery is ensured by informing guest of wish to serve them again upon their return and/or following company procedures.
- Unexpected of unusual problems are responded to or are referred to appropriate personnel in accordance with enterprise procedures.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: MONITOR ENTRY TO VENUE
UNIT CODE : TRS511324
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to monitor entry to an attraction or an area within an attraction or theme park such as a ride or show, and to monitor crowd movements. This unit reflects the role of an attraction attendant and does not incorporate the skills required by dedicated security personnel.
- Monitor and maintain access to attraction areas
- All items associated with access to and safe operations of the area are checked before the operation.
- Types of entry and access to entry areas are controlled according to workplace procedures, complying at all times with specific regulations and parameters.
- Areas are regularly checked for cleanliness, safety and customer comfort.
- Monitor crowds
- The maximum number of customers that the area can accommodate is identified to ensure safety and convenience of customers.
- The crowd size is monitored to ensure that the maximum limit is not exceeded.
- Crowd behavior is monitored and any problems are promptly reported to the appropriate personnel or security person.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: PROVIDE A SITE BRIEFING OR SCRIPTED COMMENTARY
UNIT CODE : TRS511325
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to provide a site briefing or scripted commentary for customers. The unit does not include the skills to develop and present commentaries or activities to the level required by a fully competent tour guide.
- Present information to customers
- Customers are courteously welcomed according to enterprise procedures.
- Comprehensive, accurate and relevant information, including any special requirements or directions, is provided to customers through briefings or scripted commentaries during briefing sessions.
- Health and safety requirements are outlined according to enterprise procedures and specific restrictions.
- Customers are appropriately prepared for potential environment changes and situations that may occur.
- Customer questions are answered in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Enhance the presentation of information
- Communication and presentation techniques are used to enhance customer enjoyment of the experience.
- Personal presentation, appearance and grooming appropriate to the environment is observed.
- Positive and welcoming posture, gestures and behavior are used to enhance the presentation.
- Cultural and social sensitivity is shown during the briefing.
- Technical presentation resources are correctly made use of.
- Liaise with team members
- Communication and cooperation are maintained with other team members/operators to ensure safe and efficient operations.
- Correct and accurate signals are given where appropriate.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OPERATE A RIDE LOCATION
UNIT CODE : TRS511326
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to conduct the day-to-day operation of rides within a theme park or attraction.
- Prepare and inspect ride location
- The ride is inspected in accordance with an approved checklist.
- Location is inspected prior to arrival of customers.
- Ride equipment is checked in the ride location to ensure readiness for operation.
- Safety equipment is checked to ensure readiness for operation.
- Cleanliness and standard of presentation are checked and remedial action is promptly taken where appropriate.
- General supplies are checked for quantity and quality.
- Supplies are ordered according to enterprise requirements procedures.
- All discrepancies or irregularities are immediately reported to the appropriate supervisor.
- Prepare to start the ride cycle
- Adherence to loading procedures according to the ride manual is checked prior to commencement of the ride.
- Communication with the ride loader is maintained to ensure the ride commences safely.
- Operate and monitor ride
- Ride procedures are performed correctly, promptly, safely and in accordance with requirements and procedures.
- The ride (device) is operated in accordance with specifications and guidelines.
- Operator controls are continuously monitored during the operation of the ride.
- The ride is monitored at all times.
- Any required action is taken in response to observations made during the ride, and conformance of these actions to enterprise safety procedures is ensured.
- Emergency procedures are strictly carried out according to ride manual and specific ride procedures.
- Customers are treated in a friendly and courteous manner throughout the ride.
- Quality control issues and problems during the ride are identified and the appropriate supervisor is advised for action.
- Turnover and/or delivery of valuables is acknowledged by appropriate personnel and recorded.
- Close down ride
- Close-down procedures are commenced when all customers have left the ride location.
- Ride is closed-down and turned off following the enterprise procedures for the specific ride.
- Close-down is documented according to manual.
- Any defects or deficiencies are immediately identified and reported to the appropriate supervisor for action
- Close and secure ride
- All areas of the ride are checked according to manual.
- Location is cleaned for the next operation.
- Equipment is prepared for the next operation.
- The ride location is secured according to enterprise procedures.
- Prepare ride documentation and reports
- Any issues and events requiring documentation are identified.
- Notations are accurately made according to enterprise procedures.
- Reports and documentation are completed within required timeframe.
- Reports and documentation are forwarded to the appropriate department within the required timeframe.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : LOAD AND UNLOAD A RIDE
UNIT CODE : TRS511327
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to safely load and unload passengers onto a ride and to observe the operation of the ride
- Load the ride
- Loading procedures are correctly, safely, promptly performed and in accordance with the manual.
- Ride is loaded to the approved maximum number of persons to ride.
- Riders are checked if they are secured in accordance with the requirement of the ride.
- Riders are advised to secure any articles which may become loose while riding.
- Customers are treated in a courteous and friendly manner during loading.
- Load requirements are checked prior to the start of the ride.
- Observe the ride
- Ride is continuously observed in accordance with safety procedures.
- Quality control issues or problems are identified during the ride and appropriate supervisor is advised immediately for action.
- Unload the ride
- Ride is unloaded once it is fully completed.
- Unloading procedures are correctly, safely, promptly followed and in accordance with enterprise requirements and procedures.
- Customers are unloaded in a courteous and friendly fashion.
- Records and reports are accurately completed, processed and maintained in accordance with industry, legislative and organizational requirements.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : MAINTAIN SAFETY IN WATER-BASED RIDES
UNIT CODE : TRS511328
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to deal with the special safety issues to be considered in water-based rides and activities. It covers the surveillance and control of customer behavior and the provision of rescue and emergency care. This competency requires licensed in both First Aid and Basic Life Support recognized by the Philippine National Red Cross.
- Monitor safety around water
- Status of water-based activity areas is continuously monitored to ensure absence of hazards.
- Staff replacement is ensured when it is necessary to leave the water area.
- Water areas are kept free from safety hazards at all times.
- Customer behavior is continuously monitored to ensure compliance with safety requirements, including wearing of safety garments.
- Dangerous and unsafe behavior is promptly identified and controlled.
- Customers are firmly but courteously cautioned when their behavior poses a threat to themselves, other customers or staff.
- Assistance in controlling customer behavior is sought from a supervisor or security personnel as appropriate.
- Assist and rescue customers
- Persons in distress or danger are promptly identified.
- Assistance is given or rescue is carried out as required.
- Equipment is correctly used according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Provide emergency care
- Emergency situations are quickly and correctly recognized and assessed.
- Emergency action is implemented according to company procedures.
- Emergency care techniques are correctly applied.
- Assistance is sought from emergency services/colleagues/customers where appropriate.
- Provide reports on emergencies
- Emergency situations are documented according to enterprise procedures.
- Clear and accurate reports are provided at all times.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OPERATE A GAMES LOCATION
UNIT CODE : TRS511329
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to conduct the day-to-day operation of a games area within a theme park or attraction.
- Prepare games location for customers
- Games location is prepared and checked for cleanliness, safety and security according to enterprise policy and procedures.
- Cash fund and required forms and documents are secured according to company procedures.
- Equipment for operation are checked and prepared according to manufacturer’s instructions and/or company procedures.
- Signage is checked to ensure it is clearly and correctly displayed.
- Stocks of prizes and other supplies are checked to ensure sufficiency.
- Prizes are displayed to attract customers.
- Number of stock items is recorded with accuracy.
- Additional supplies are ordered where appropriate.
- Inspect games prior to opening
- Each game is inspected according to enterprise policy and procedures.
- Faults are immediately reported to a supervisor
- Conduct games operations
- Rules and regulations are strictly enforced during games.
- Customer questions on games are correctly answered.
- Payment is accepted for participation in the game.
- All prizes given are recorded for data analysis according to enterprise procedures.
- Location is kept clean at all times.
- Crowd size is monitored to ensure that maximum numbers are not exceeded.
- Customer behavior is monitored to ensure a safe and pleasant environment for all customers.
- Customers are firmly but courteously requested to change inappropriate behavior.
- Assistance is requested from supervisor or security personnel as appropriate.
- Clean and maintain games
- Games are regularly inspected and cleaned to ensure safe and smooth function.
- Game faults are correctly identified.
- Simple repairs are made with minimum disruption to customers in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and enterprise policy.
- Faults are immediately reported to appropriate personnel and games are declared “out of order” where necessary.
- Close games location
- The game location is closed according to enterprise procedures and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Resources, equipment and stocks are secured according to enterprise policy and procedures.
- The area is cleaned and prepared for the next day’s operation.
- Complete reports and documentation
- Tallied data records and reports are produced according to enterprise requirements within required timeframe.
- Reports are forwarded to the appropriate area within the required timeframe
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PROMOTE AT A GAMES LOCATION
UNIT CODE : TRS511330
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to use showmanship to introduce, promote and conduct games in theme parks or attractions.
- Make games announcements
- Communication systems and equipment are correctly used.
- Clear and concise announcements are made to avoid confusing customers.
- Information about games is accurately given to prepare customers for the games experience.
- Information is presented in an entertaining manner.
- Customers are encouraged to participate in games by including key sales points and promotional offers.
- Present and conduct games
- Games are presented and conducted in a lively and entertaining manner.
- Promotional techniques are used to enhance customer enjoyment of the games.
- Player and crowd participation is encouraged for a complete customer experience.
- Humour appropriate to the customer group is employed for the enjoyment of the customers.
- Language appropriate for the customer group is used for customers to fully understand.
- Personal presentation, appearance and grooming appropriate to the games environment and that will enhance the customer experience is ensured.
- Customers are welcomed with positive body language.
- Cultural and social sensitivity is shown in presentations to avoid offending customers.
- Technical presentation resources are correctly used to avoid delays and customer complaints
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OPERATE ANIMAL ENCLOSURE/EXHIBIT
UNIT CODE : TRS511331
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to conduct the day-to-day operations of an animal enclosure or exhibit in an attraction or theme park. It reflects the role of an enclosure attendant who works under supervision.
- Prepare animal enclosure/exhibit for customers
- Problems concerning animal welfare are rectified and acted upon according to legislative requirements.
- Enclosure/exhibit is inspected prior to the arrival of customers according to enterprise procedures.
- Signs for temporary closures are erected to ensure minimum customer inconvenience.
- Equipment is prepared for the day’s activities in a timely manner.
- Area is checked for cleanliness and safety according to enterprise procedures.
- Supplies are checked for quantity and quality.
- Supplies are ordered according to enterprise procedures.
- Monitor the enclosure/exhibit
- Customer numbers are monitored during operation to ensure maximum numbers are not exceeded.
- Customer behavior is continuously monitored ensuring compliance with safety requirements.
- Dangerous or unsafe behavior is promptly identified and controlled to avoid accidents.
- Customers are firmly but courteously requested to change their behavior when it poses a threat to themselves, other customers, animals or staff.
- Assistance in controlling customer behavior is sought from the supervisor or security personnel as appropriate.
- Clean and maintain enclosure/exhibit
- Wastes, feces and weeds are removed from enclosure.
- Vermin control is implemented according to company procedures.
- Materials are disposed of in accordance with manufacturer’s and/or superior’s instructions.
- Enclosures (e.g. exhibits, night facilities and food preparation areas) are cleaned with minimum disruption to animals.
- Enclosure is presented in accordance with requirements of both the animal and the customer.
- Enclosures are secured according to enterprise guidelines and requirements for animal species.
- Routine maintenance tasks are carried out according to instructions of superior.
- Feeding and watering systems are monitored and maintained in a safe and working condition.
- Tasks are carried out with minimum disruption to customers.
- Close down enclosure/exhibit
- The enclosure/exhibit is closed down according to enterprise procedures.
- The animal/s welfare and security is checked making necessary reports to the appropriate supervisor.
- Enclosure/exhibit and all equipment are prepared for the next day’s operation.
- The enclosure/exhibit is cleaned as instructed.
- The enclosure/exhibit is correctly secured
- Use and care for equipment
- Animal husbandry and general equipment is correctly identified and used.
- Basic cleaning and maintenance procedures on equipment are correctly carried out.
- Equipment is safely and correctly stored in the designated area.
- Complete reports and documentation
- Reports and documentation on the enclosure/exhibit are completed within the required timeframe.
- Reports and documentation are forwarded to the appropriate area within the required timeframe
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PROVIDE GENERAL ANIMAL CARE
UNIT CODE : TRS511332
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to provide basic care for animals in attractions and theme parks, under the supervision of an animal specialist.
- Feed and water animals
- Food preparation equipment is cleaned, disinfected and sterilized according to company procedures.
- Instructions and dietary charts are followed for food preparation, portions and distributions.
- Animals are fed according to enterprise procedures.
- Water supply is monitored ensuring appropriate quantity and quality.
- Animals are fed and watered in accordance with animal welfare and ethics policies and health and safety procedures.
- Customers, where possible and appropriate, are involved in animal feeding within safety guidelines.
- Assist with general animal care
- Appropriate care is provided according to specific animal type and gender.
- Chemicals used in animal care are handled and stored in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
- Animals are groomed according to enterprise and animal welfare and ethics policy.
- Common animal behaviors are correctly
recognized and appropriate action is taken when necessary.
- Capture and restraint procedures are correctly followed under supervision.
- Assistance in rearing of young animals is requested from animal specialist when required
- Assist with animal health care
- Disease prevention procedures are carried out according to instructions and appropriate quarantine procedures.
- Pests and toxic substances are accurately identified.
- Obvious signs of illness are promptly recognized and reported according to procedures.
- Routine treatments are administered under supervision.
- Samples are correctly collected when required
- Identify and act on potential risks in animal enclosures
- Physical/behavior hazards are correctly identified.
- Risks associated with specific animals are identified.
- Day-to-day duties are conducted in a manner which minimizes risk in the enclosure.
- Potential risks are promptly reported to supervisor for immediate action to take place
- Update and maintain animal records
- Issues, behavior and events requiring written notation are promptly and accurately identified.
- Correct terminology is used when making accurate notations on animal records.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : RESCUE ANIMALS
UNIT CODE : TRS511333
This unit deals with knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to rescue animals which have escaped or are injured. It applies to those who work in an attraction or theme park and may be required to provide assistance in this area.
- Identify animals requiring rescue
- Work area is regularly checked for distressed or escaped animals.
- Animals that are in distress or require rescue are promptly identified.
- Prompt action is taken when potential risks to customers, the animals, self and colleagues occur.
- Appropriate departments and animal specialists are immediately informed of the situation
- Participate in animal rescue
- Rescue procedures are carried out within the scope of individual responsibility.
- Assistance is sought from colleagues and animal specialists as required.
- The animals are taken to the appropriate location.
- Customers are informed of rescue progress where appropriate.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PROVIDE CUSTOMERS WITH INFORMATION ON ANIMALS
UNIT CODE : TRS511334
This unit deals with the knowledge, skills, behavior and motivations required to provide information to customers about the animals in theme parks and attractions. It does not include presentation skills.
- Offer information to customers
- Customers are informed/lectured on about the animals at every opportunity.
- Customer interaction is conducted in a polite, friendly and welcoming manner.
- Current and accurate information is offered at every opportunity, making use of resources if possible.
- Appropriate level and complexity of information is provided to meet the customer’s needs.
- Actual animals are used in demonstrations when appropriate and within safety and animal welfare/ethics guidelines.
- Customers are allowed to observe and interact with animals in accordance with safety and animal welfare/ethics guidelines.
- Customers are invited to ask questions to ensure understanding.
- Respond to customer questions about animals
- Customer questions are correctly answered in a polite, friendly and welcoming manner.
- Additional information is provided to enhance the customer understanding and experience.
- Examples of real animals are shown to enhance answers.
- Other sources of information are sought if unable to answer the customer inquiry or customer is referred to another source.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : DEVELOP AND UPDATE INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE
UNIT CODE : TRS311201
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills required to access, increase and update industry knowledge. It includes seek information on the industry and update industry knowledge.
- Seek information on the industry
- Sources of information on the industry are correctly identified and accessed
- Information to assist effective work performance is obtained in line with job requirements
- Specific information on sector of work is accessed and updated
- Industry information is correctly applied to day-to-day work activities
- Update industry knowledge
- Informal and/or formal research is used to update general knowledge of the industry
- Updated knowledge is shared with customers and colleagues as appropriate and incorporated into day-to-day working activities
- Develop and update local knowledge
- Local knowledge is developed to assist queries on local/national tourism industry
- Local knowledge is updated using informal and/or formal research
- Contact with local communities is maintained
- Promote products and services to customers
- Promotional initiatives are described that may be used to promote products and services
- Selling skills are applied according to customer needs
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: OBSERVE WORKPLACE HYGIENE PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : TRS311202
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in observing workplace hygiene procedures. It includes following hygiene procedures and identifying and preventing hygiene risks.
- Follow hygiene procedures
- Workplace hygiene procedures are implemented in line with enterprise and legal requirements
- Handling and storage of items are undertaken in line with enterprise and legal requirements
- Identify and prevent hygiene risks
- Potential hygiene risks are identified in line with enterprise procedures
- Action to minimize and remove risks are taken within scope of individual responsibility of enterprise/legal requirements
- Hygiene risks beyond the control of individual staff members are reported to the appropriate person for follow up
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: PERFORM COMPUTER OPERATIONS
UNIT CODE : TRS311203
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes and values needed to perform computer operations which includes inputting, accessing, producing and transferring data using the appropriate hardware and software
- Plan and prepare for task to be undertaken
- Requirements of task are determined
- Appropriate hardware and software is selected according to task assigned and required outcome
- Task is planned to ensure OH & S guidelines and procedures are followed
- Input data into computer
- Data are entered into the computer using appropriate program/application in accordance with company procedures
- Accuracy of information is checked and information is saved in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Inputted data are stored in storage media according to requirements
- Work is performed within ergonomic guidelines
- Access information using computer
- Correct program/application is selected based on job requirements
- Program/application containing the information required is accessed according to company procedures
- Desktop icons are correctly selected, opened and closed for navigation purposes
- Keyboard techniques are carried out in line with OH & S requirements for safe use of keyboards
- Produce/output data using computer system
- Entered data are processed using appropriate software commands
- Data are printed out as required using computer hardware/peripheral devices in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Files and data are transferred between compatible systems using computer software, hardware/peripheral devices in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Maintain computer equipment and systems
- Systems for cleaning, minor maintenance and replacement of consumables are implemented
- Procedures for ensuring security of data, including regular back-ups and virus checks are implemented in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Basic file maintenance procedures are implemented in line with the standard operating procedures
- Document systems are maintained
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: PERFORM WORKPLACE AND SAFETY PRACTICES
UNIT CODE : TRS311204
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in following health, safety and security practices. It includes dealing with emergency situations and maintaining safe personal presentation standards.
- Follow workplace procedures for health, safety and security practices
- Correct health, safety and security procedures are followed in line with legislation, regulations and enterprise procedures
- Breaches of health, safety and security procedures are identified and reported in line with enterprise procedure
- Suspicious behavior or unusual occurrence are reported in line with enterprise procedure
- Perform child protection duties relevant to the tourism industry
- Issue of sexual exploitation of children by tourist is identified
- National, regional and international actions are described to prevent the sexual exploitation of children by tourists
- Actions that can be taken in the workplace are described to protect children from sexual exploitation by tourists
- Observe and monitor people
- Areas and people who require observation and monitoring is prepared
- Observation and monitoring activities are implemented
- Apprehension of offenders are determined
- Offenders are arrested according to enterprise procedures
- Administrative responsibilities are fulfilled
- Deal with emergency situations
- Emergency and potential emergency situations are recognized and appropriate action are taken within individual’s scope of responsibility
- Emergency procedures are followed in line with enterprise procedures
- Assistance is sought from colleagues to resolve or respond to emergency situations
- Details of emergency situations are reported in line with enterprise procedures
- Maintain safe personal presentation standards
- Safe personal standards are identified and followed in line with enterprise requirements
- Maintain a safe and secure workplace
- Workplace health, safety and security responsibilities are identified
- Framework to maintain workplace health, safety and security are maintained
- Procedures for identifying and assessing health, safety and security hazards and risks are implemented
- Injuries, illnesses and incidents are investigated
- Organization’s health, safety and security effectiveness are evaluated
UNIT OF COMPETENCY: PROVIDE EFFECTIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE
UNIT CODE : TRS311205
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in providing effective customer service. It includes greeting customer, identifying customer needs, delivering service to customer, handling queries through use of common business tools and technology and handling complaints, evaluation and recommendation.
- Greet customer
- Customers are greeted in line with enterprise procedure
- Verbal and non-verbal communications are appropriate to the given situation
- Non verbal communication are observed when responding to customers
- Sensitivity to cultural and social differences is demonstrated
- Identify needs of customers
- Appropriate interpersonal skills are used to ensure that customer needs are accurately identified
- Customer needs are assessed for urgency so that priority for service delivery can be identified
- Customers are provided with information 2.4 Personal limitation in addressing customer needs is identified and where appropriate, assistance is sought from supervisor
- Deliver service to customer
- Customer needs are promptly attended to in line with enterprise procedure
- Appropriate rapport is maintained with customer to enable high quality service delivery
- Opportunity to enhance the quality of service and products are taken wherever possible
- Handle queries through use of common business tools and technology
- Common business tools and technology are used efficiently to determine customer requirements
- Queries/ information are recorded in line with enterprise procedure
- Queries are acted upon promptly and correctly in line with enterprise procedure
- Handle complaints/conflict situations, evaluation and recommendations
- Guests are greeted with a smile and eye-to-eye contact
- Responsibility for resolving the complaint is taken within limit of responsibility and according to enterprise policy
- Nature and details of complaint are established and agreed with the customer
- Threats to personal safety are identified and managed to personal safety of customers or colleagues and appropriate assistance is organized
- Appropriate action is taken to resolve the complaint to the customers satisfaction wherever possible
- Conflict situations are resolved within scope of individual responsibility by applying effective communication skills and according to enterprise policy
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PARTICIPATE IN WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION
UNIT CODE : 500311105
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to gather, interpret and convey information in response to workplace requirements.
- Obtain and convey workplace information
- Specific and relevant information is accessed from appropriate sources
- Effective questioning, active listening and speaking skills are used together and convey information
- Appropriate medium is used to transfer information and ideas
- Appropriate non- verbal communication is used
- Appropriate lines of communication with supervisors and colleagues are identified and followed
- Defined workplace procedures for the location and storage of information are used
- Personal interaction is carried out clearly and concisely
- Participate in workplace meetings and discussions
- Team meetings are at ended on time
- Own opinions are clear expressed and those of others are listened to without interruption
- Meeting inputs are consistent with the meeting purpose and established protocols
- Workplace interactions are conducted in a courteous manner
- Questions about simple routine workplace procedures and matters concerning working conditions of employment are asked and responded to.
- Meetings outcomes are interpreted and implemented
- Complete relevant work related documents
- Range of forms relating to conditions of employment are completed accurately and legibly
- Workplace data is recorded on standard workplace forms and documents
- Basic mathematical processes are used for routine calculations
- Errors in recording information on forms/documents are identified and properly acted upon
- Reporting requirements to supervisor are completed according to organizational guidelines
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : WORK IN TEAM ENVIRONMENT
UNIT CODE : 500311106
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes to identify role and responsibility as a member of a team.
- Describe team role and scope
- The role and objective of the team is identified from available sources of information
- Team parameters, reporting relationships and responsibilities are identified from team discussions and appropriate external sources.
- Identify own role and responsibility within team
- Individual role and responsibilities within the team environment are identified.
- Roles and responsibility of other team members are identified and recognized.
- Reporting relationships within team and external to team are identified.
- Work as a team member
- Effective and appropriate forms of communications used and interactions undertaken with team members who contribute to known team activities and objectives.
- Effective and appropriate contributions made to complement team activities and objectives, based on individual skills and competencies and workplace context.
- Observed protocols in reporting using standard operating procedures.
- Contribute to the development of team work plans based on an understanding of team’s role and objectives and individual competencies of the members.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PRACTICE CAREER PROFESSIONALISM
UNIT CODE : 500311107
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes in promoting career growth and advancement.
- Integrate personal objectives with organizational goals
- Personal growth and work plans are pursued towards improving the qualifications set for the profession
- Intra- and interpersonal relationships is are maintained in the course of managing oneself based on performance evaluation
- Commitment to the organization and its goal is demonstrated in the performance of duties
- Set and meet work priorities
- Competing demands are prioritized to achieve personal, team and organizational goals and objectives.
- Resources are utilized efficiently and effectively to manage work priorities and commitments
- Practices along economic use and maintenance of equipment and facilities are followed as per established procedures
- Maintain professional growth and development
- Trainings and career opportunities are identified and availed of based on job requirements
- Recognitions are sought/received and demonstrated as proof of career advancement
- Licenses and/or certifications relevant to job and career are obtained and renewed
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PRACTICE OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : 500311108
This unit covers the outcomes required to comply with regulatory and organizational requirements for occupational health and safety.
- Identify hazards and risks
- Safety regulations and workplace safety and hazard control practices and procedures are clarified and explained based on organization procedures
- Hazards/risks in the workplace and their corresponding indicators are identified to minimize or eliminate risk to co-workers, workplace and environment in accordance with organization procedures
- Contingency measures during workplace accidents, fire and other emergencies are recognized and established in accordance with organization procedures
- Evaluate hazards and risks
- Terms of maximum tolerable limits which when exceeded will result in harm or damage are identified based on threshold limit values (TLV)
- Effects of the hazards are determined
- OHS issues and/or concerns and identified safety hazards are reported to designated personnel in accordance with workplace requirements and relevant workplace OHS legislation
- Control hazards and risks
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) procedures for controlling hazards/risks in workplace are consistently
- Procedures for dealing with workplace accidents, fire and emergencies are followed in accordance with organization OHS policies
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) is correctly used in accordance with organization OHS procedures and practices
- Appropriate assistance is provided in the event of a workplace emergency in accordance with established organization protocol
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) procedures for controlling hazards/risks in workplace are consistently
- Maintain OHS awareness
- Emergency-related drills and trainings are participated in as per established organization guidelines and procedures
- OHS personal records are completed and updated in accordance with workplace requirements