TESDA TRAINING REGULATIONS FOR BARISTA NC II
The BARISTA NC II Qualification consists of competencies that a person must achieve in the deliverance of good quality coffee in commercially-operated cafes or specialty coffee shops. This qualification is specific to a person who specializes in making coffee beverages.
A student who has achieved this TESDA Course in BARISTA NC II is competent to be:
BARISTA NC II – TRAINING AND REGULATION MODULE
Course Title: BARISTA
Level: NC II
Nominal Training Duration : 223 Hours
(Basic Competency) 18 Hours
(Common Competency) 18 Hours
(Core Competency) 142 Hours
Total Duration: 178 Hours
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge, skills and attitude in BARISTA NC II in accordance with industry standards. It covers core competencies on preparing espresso, texture milk, prepare and serve coffee beverages, perform basic maintenance of machines and equipment and perform basic cashiering and general control procedures..
TRAINEE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Trainees or students wishing to enroll in these course qualifications should possess the following requirements:
- Must have completed a 10-year basic education
- Good in oral and written communication
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED IN BARISTA NC II
This units of competency comprising this qualification include Basic, Common, Elective and Core Competencies.
To obtain this TESDA course in BARISTA NC II, all units prescribed for this qualification must be achieved.
These units of competency comprising this qualification include the following:
|UNIT CODE||CORE COMPETENCIES (142 Hours)|
|TRS3113102||Prepare and serve coffee beverages|
|TRS3113103||Perform basic maintenance of machine and equipment|
|TRS3113104||Perform basic cashiering and general control procedures|
|UNIT CODE||COMMON COMPETENCIES (18 Hours)|
|TRS311201||Develop and update industry knowledge|
|TRS311202||Observe workplace hygiene procedures|
|TRS311203||Perform computer operations|
|TRS311204||Perform workplace and safety practices|
|TRS311205||Provide effective customer service|
|UNIT CODE||BASIC COMPETENCIES (18 Hours)|
|500311105||Participate in workplace communication|
|500311106||Work in a team environment|
|500311107||Practice career professionalism|
|500311108||Practice occupational health and safety procedures|
These units of competency are categorized into basic, common and core competencies.
This section gives the details of the contents of the core units of competency required in BARISTA NC II.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PREPARE ESPRESSO
UNIT CODE : TRS311399
This unit deals with the knowledge and skills of preparing the perfect shot of espresso based on the parameters provided herein.
- Set up and prepare machine and equipment
- Cups are pre-heated in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Portafilter is wiped clean and dry before dosing.
- Grind of coffee is checked.
- Enough coffee is ground for the shot of espresso
- Drip tray is cleaned and dried.
- Rags are prepared and used properly.
- Dose and Tamp Coffee
- The appropriate amount of ground coffee is dosed in the portafilter.
- Appropriate amount of pressure is applied to tamp the ground beans
- Ground coffee is tamped evenly.
- Portafilter sides and spouts are wiped and cleaned before inserting to the brew head
- Spillage and wastage of ground beans are minimized during dosing and grinding.
- Extract espresso
- Group head is flushed before inserting the portafilter
- Portafilter is inserted and coffee is brewed immediately
- Volume of espresso is checked
- Extraction time of shot is monitored.
- Crema of shot is inspected.
- Espresso is served or used in a beverage immediately
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : TEXTURE MILK
UNIT CODE : TRS3113100
This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to steam milk which is essential in the preparation of espresso-based beverages with milk like cappuccino and latte. It covers the two stages of steaming milk: foaming and heating, at the desired temperature and consistency.
- Prepare milk and equipment
- Milk is chilled in accordance to appropriate temperature.
- Adequate amount of milk is measured according to the kind of drink to be prepared.
- Correct (size of ) steaming pitcher is selected in accordance with enterprise standards
- Steaming pitcher is chilled in accordance to appropriate temperature.
- Steam wand is flushed to remove condensed water.
- Steam wand is wiped before steaming.
- Rags for the steam wand are kept clean and moist
- Foam milk
- Steam wand is positioned at the right depth of the milk.
- Full steam is applied when introducing air into the milk.
- The sound of air being drawn into the milk is judged/evaluated thru the hissing sound.
- Milk is stretched according to the desired volume of foam.
- Milk is converted into microfoam.
- Steam milk
- Steam wand is angled as appropriate to create a whirlpool effect.
- Milk is spun to achieve the desired consistency.
- Milk is steamed at the ideal temperature for immediate consumption.
- Steam wand is shut off some 5 degrees before the desired temperature.
- Steam wand is flushed and wiped after steaming.
- Big bubbles are removed by swirling and knocking the pitcher on the counter.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PREPARE AND SERVE COFFEE BEVERAGES
UNIT CODE : TRS3113101
This unit covers the skills and knowledge required in the preparation of standard coffee beverages, both hot and cold using the espresso machine and the other brewing methods like syphon, pour over and French press.
- Take orders of guests
- Orders are taken and verified with guests or dining service crew.
- Recommendations are offered to the guest on selection of coffee beverages.
- General information about the coffee beans are provided to guests
- Mise-en-place for coffee service is completed according to establishment’s standards and procedures.
- Prepare espresso-based beverages
- Hot and cold espresso-based beverages are prepared according to standard recipes of the establishments.
- Only good/perfect shots of espresso are served or used in the beverages.
- Appropriate cups/glasses and accessories are selected according to the beverage ordered.
- Espresso beverages are served immediately.
- Prepare and serve brewed coffee
- Brewed coffee is prepared according to the brewing method desired by the guest.
- Coffee is brewed according to ideal brewing time of the method
- Coffee beans are weighed or measured according to brewing method.
- Brewed coffee is served immediately.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PERFORM BASIC MAINTENANCE OF MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT
UNIT CODE : TRS3113102
This unit deals with the knowledge and skills required in the regular maintenance of the espresso machine and other coffee equipment including cleaning and standard operating procedures that must be performed before and after operating the machines and equipment.
- Maintain espresso machine
- Backflushing of espresso is performed according to the type of machine.
- Group head, gasket and porta filters are checked regularly.
- Clean hot water is poured to the drip tray.
- Steam wand is cleaned and wiped with a clean and moist rag.
- Appropriate food grade cleaning chemical is used to backflush and descale espresso machine
- Porta filer and baskets are soaked in hot water to remove oils.
- Group head and screen are brushed at the end of the day.
- Water softener filter is checked regularly.
- Suitable cleaning tools and materials are used to perform maintenance procedures of the machine.
- Clean doser grinder
- Grounds are brushed off from the bottom and exterior part of the grinder
- Bean hopper is wiped with clean cloth or paper towel or washed in warm water
- The doser chamber or compartment (especially the chute area) is brushed out.
- Grinder blades are checked regularly.
- Care of small brewing devices
- Small brewers are cleaned right after use in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Small brewers are wiped dried before storage in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Small brewers are stored in their proper places in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Ceramics and glass brewers are washed and soaped after use in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Filters of the small brewing apparatuses are checked for damages.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PERFORM BASIC CASHIERING AND GENERAL CONTROL PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : TRS3113103
This unit deals with the know ledge and skills required to perform basic cashiering function as well as carry out general control procedures including stock/inventory control.
- Operate Electronic Cash register (ECR) or Point of sales system (POS)
- ECR or POS is prepared before operation following standard procedures
- Business transactions are entered and recorded in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Reports are generated at the end of the shift in accordance with enterprise standards.
- New item data are entered into the system in accordance with enterprise standard operating procedures.
- Back up data base are made in accordance with enterprise standards.
- Receive payments
- Cash is received and counted in accordance with enterprise accounting procedures.
- Change is given and counted in front of the guest in accordance with enterprise accounting procedures.
- Receipts/tapes are printed out and given to guest in accordance with enterprise accounting procedures.
- Handle Change Funds and Petty Cash
- Cash funds are secured in accordance with enterprise standard procedures
- Cash count reports are prepared in accordance with enterprise standard procedures.
- Expenses are monitored and recorded in accordance with enterprise standard procedures.
- Maintain par stock of items
- Beginning and ending inventory are conducted before and after operations in accordance with enterprise inventory procedures
- Stocks are requested according to enterprise standard procedures
- Issued stock items are checked against requisition documents in accordance with enterprise procedures
- Stock levels are monitored in accordance with par stocking procedures.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : DEVELOP AND UPDATE INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE
UNIT CODE : TRS311201
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitude required to access, increase and update industry knowledge. It includes seek information on the industry and update industry knowledge
- Seek information on the industry
- Sources of information on the industry are correctly identified and accessed
- Information to assist effective work performance is obtained in line with job requirements
- Specific information on sector of work is accessed and updated
- Industry information is correctly applied to day-to-day work activities
- Update industry knowledge
- Informal and/or formal research is used to update general knowledge of the industry
- Updated knowledge is shared with customers and colleagues as appropriate and incorporated into day-to-day working activities
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : OBSERVE WORKPLACE HYGIENE PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : TRS311202
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in observing workplace hygiene procedures. It includes following hygiene procedures and identifying and preventing hygiene risks.
- Follow hygiene procedures
- Workplace hygiene procedures are implemented in line with enterprise and legal requirements
- Handling and storage of items are undertaken in line with enterprise and legal requirements
- Identify and prevent hygiene risks
- Potential hygiene risks are identified in line with enterprise procedures
- Action to minimize and remove risks are taken within scope of individual responsibility of enterprise/legal requirements
- Hygiene risks beyond the control of individual staff members are reported to the appropriate person for follow up
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PERFORM COMPUTER OPERATIONS
UNIT CODE : TRS311203
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes and values needed to perform computer operations which includes inputting, accessing, producing and transferring data using the appropriate hardware and software
- Plan and prepare for task to be undertaken
- Requirements of task are determined
- Appropriate hardware and software is selected according to task assigned and required outcome
- Task is planned to ensure OH & S guidelines and procedures are followed
- Input data into computer
- Data are entered into the computer using appropriate program/application in accordance with company procedures
- Accuracy of information is checked and information is saved in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Inputted data are stored in storage media according to requirements
- Work is performed within ergonomic guidelines
- Access information using computer
- Correct program/application is selected based on job requirements
- Program/application containing the information required is accessed according to company procedures
- Desktop icons are correctly selected, opened and closed for navigation purposes
- Keyboard techniques are carried out in line with OH & S requirements for safe use of keyboards
- Produce/output data using computer system
- Entered data are processed using appropriate software commands
- Data are printed out as required using computer hardware/peripheral devices in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Files and data are transferred between compatible systems using computer software, hardware/ peripheral devices in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Maintain computer equipment and systems
- Systems for cleaning, minor maintenance and replacement of consumables are implemented
- Procedures for ensuring security of data, including regular back-ups and virus checks are implemented in accordance with standard operating procedures
- Basic file maintenance procedures are implemented in line with the standard operating procedures
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PERFORM WORKPLACE AND SAFETY PRACTICES
UNIT CODE : TRS311204
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in following health, safety and security practices. It includes dealing with emergency situations and maintaining safe personal presentation standards.
- Follow workplace procedures for health, safety and security practices
- Correct health, safety and security procedures are followed in line with legislation, regulations and enterprise procedures
- Breaches of health, safety and security procedures are identified and reported in line with enterprise procedure
- Suspicious behavior or unusual occurrence are reported in line with enterprise procedure
- Deal with emergency situations
- Emergency and potential emergency situations are recognized and appropriate action are taken within individual’s scope of responsibility
- Emergency procedures are followed in line with enterprise procedures
- Assistance is sought from colleagues to resolve or respond to emergency situations
- Details of emergency situations are reported in line with enterprise procedures
- Maintain safe personal presentation standards
- Safe personal standards are identified and followed in line with enterprise requirements
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PROVIDE EFFECTIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE
UNIT CODE : TRS311205
This unit of competency deals with the knowledge, skills and attitudes in providing effective customer service. It includes greeting customer, identifying customer needs, delivering service to customer, handling queries through telephone, fax machine, internet and email and handling complaints, evaluation and recommendation.
- Greet customer
- Guests are greeted in line with enterprise procedure
- Verbal and non-verbal communications are appropriate to the given situation
- Non verbal communication of customer is observed responding to customer
- Sensitivity to cultural and social differences is demonstrated
- Identify customer needs
- Appropriate interpersonal skills are used to ensure that customer needs are accurately identified
- Customer needs are assessed for urgency so that priority for service delivery can be identified
- Customers are provided with information
- Personal limitation in addressing customer needs is identified and where appropriate, assistance is sought from supervisor
- Deliver service to customer
- Customer needs are promptly attended to in line with enterprise procedure
- Appropriate rapport is maintained with customer to enable high quality service delivery
- Opportunity to enhance the quality of service and products are taken wherever possible
- Handle queries through telephone, fax machine, internet and email
- Use telephone, computer, fax machine, internet efficiently to determine customer requirements
- Queries/ information are recorded in line with enterprise procedure
- Queries are acted upon promptly and correctly in line with enterprise procedure
- Handle complaints, evaluation and recommendations
- Guests are greeted with a smile and eye-to-eye contact
- Responsibility for resolving the complaint is taken within limit of responsibility
- Nature and details of complaint are established and agreed with the customer
- Appropriate action is taken to resolve the complaint to the customers satisfaction wherever possible
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PARTICIPATE IN WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION
UNIT CODE : 500311105
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to gather, interpret and convey information in response to workplace requirements.
- Obtain and convey workplace information
- Specific and relevant information is accessed from appropriate sources
- Effective questioning, active listening and speaking skills are used together and convey information
- Appropriate medium is used to transfer information and ideas
- Appropriate non- verbal communication is used
- Appropriate lines of communication with supervisors and colleagues are identified and followed
- Defined workplace procedures for the location and storage of information are used
- Personal interaction is carried out clearly and concisely
- Participate in workplace meetings and discussions
- Team meetings are at ended on time
- Own opinions are clear expressed and those of others are listened to without interruption
- Meeting inputs are consistent with the meeting purpose and established protocols
- Workplace interactions are conducted in a courteous manner
- Questions about simple routine workplace procedures and matters concerning working conditions of employment are asked and responded to.
- Meetings outcomes are interpreted and implemented
- Complete relevant work related documents
- Range of forms relating to conditions of employment are completed accurately and legibly
- Workplace data is recorded on standard workplace forms and documents
- Basic mathematical processes are used for routine calculations
- Errors in recording information on forms/documents are identified and properly acted upon
- Reporting requirements to supervisor are completed according to organizational guidelines
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : WORK IN TEAM ENVIRONMENT
UNIT CODE : 500311106
This unit covers the skills, knowledge and attitudes to identify role and responsibility as a member of a team.
- Describe team role and scope
- The role and objective of the team is identified from available sources of information
- Team parameters, reporting relationships and responsibilities are identified from team discussions and appropriate external sources.
- Identify own role and responsibility within team
- Individual role and responsibilities within the team environment are identified.
- Roles and responsibility of other team members are identified and recognized.
- Reporting relationships within team and external to team are identified.
- Work as a team member
- Effective and appropriate forms of communications used and interactions undertaken with team members who contribute to known team activities and objectives.
- Effective and appropriate contributions made to complement team activities and objectives, based on individual skills and competencies and workplace context.
- Observed protocols in reporting using standard operating procedures.
- Contribute to the development of team work plans based on an understanding of team’s role and objectives and individual competencies of the members.
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PRACTICE CAREER PROFESSIONALISM
UNIT CODE : 500311107
This unit covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes in promoting career growth and advancement.
- Integrate personal objectives with organizational goals
- Personal growth and work plans are pursued towards improving the qualifications set for the profession
- Intra- and interpersonal relationships is are maintained in the course of managing oneself based on performance evaluation
- Commitment to the organization and its goal is demonstrated in the performance of duties
- Set and meet work priorities
- Competing demands are prioritized to achieve personal, team and organizational goals and objectives.
- Resources are utilized efficiently and effectively to manage work priorities and commitments
- Practices along economic use and maintenance of equipment and facilities are followed as per established procedures
- Maintain professional growth and development
- Trainings and career opportunities are identified and availed of based on job requirements
- Recognitions are sought/received and demonstrated as proof of career advancement
- Licenses and/or certifications relevant to job and career are obtained and renewed
UNIT OF COMPETENCY : PRACTICE OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY PROCEDURES
UNIT CODE : 500311108
This unit covers the outcomes required to comply with regulatory and organizational requirements for occupational health and safety.
- Identify hazards and risks
- Safety regulations and workplace safety and hazard control practices and procedures are clarified and explained based on organization procedures
- Hazards/risks in the workplace and their corresponding indicators are identified to minimize or eliminate risk to co-workers, workplace and environment in accordance with organization procedures
- Contingency measures during workplace accidents, fire and other emergencies are recognized and established in accordance with organization procedures
- Evaluate hazards and risks
- Terms of maximum tolerable limits which when exceeded will result in harm or damage are identified based on threshold limit values (TLV)
- Effects of the hazards are determined
- OHS issues and/or concerns and identified safety hazards are reported to designated personnel in accordance with workplace requirements and relevant workplace OHS legislation
- Control hazards and risks
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) procedures for controlling hazards/risks in workplace are consistently
- Procedures for dealing with workplace accidents, fire and emergencies are followed in accordance with organization OHS policies
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) is correctly used in accordance with organization OHS procedures and practices
- Appropriate assistance is provided in the event of a workplace emergency in accordance with established organization protocol
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) procedures for controlling hazards/risks in workplace are consistently
- Maintain OHS awareness
- Emergency-related drills and trainings are participated in as per established organization guidelines and procedures
- OHS personal records are completed and updated in accordance with workplace requirements